Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 2 -- Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Image
    replied
    Lynneanne, I am still on my way to finish Homeward Bound and will be Home in 2 miles (make that 2 borders).
    Technically, scrappy quilts don't need a color palette, but if you are like me, I seem to like controlled chaos.
    If I had the time and money to do 2 more Pick A Petals, I would do one in Tula Pink rainbow colors. All her
    collections work so well together and I love the way she works her way around the color wheel. The other one
    be a cross between Kim Diehl fabrics and Kansas Troubles collections. Back on the farm type look. And if I
    had still more money and time I would do a Kaffe one with warm and cool colors. Who doesn't love Kaffe fabrics.
    Looking forward to a couple pictures when you get going on your Pick A Petal. HelenW

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Another great alternative. Thanks for sharing your steps.

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    They look nice! I like this curve, too, it's very doable.

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    The blanket stitch will be great with the embroidery & applique in the log cabin section!

• Profile Image
    replied
    I am so appreciative of your videos and blog, Barbara. So far I have my rows sewn for the uneven 9 patches. Very scrappy. I was pondering the crescents and came up with another method, as I have used the fold over and glue method for appliqué before but was trying to think of something else. I have some Ricky Tim's Stable Stuff Poly Fabric Stabilizer, and thought of the interfacing method. So I traced the template shapes onto one sheet, marked the dots, and copied in my printer, making sure they were accurate. I used 10" fabric squares folded to cut three crescents at a time, leaving the extra on the straight edge. Then I lined up the fabric curve and stabilizer curve, and sewed with a 1/4 seam. When sewn, I could see the dots right at the sewn line. I pinked the curved edge and the stabilizer turned and creased the edge very nicely. I will be machine appliqueing them. I am pleased with my test pieces. I have a lot more to make, but for me this may be a bit easier. I am also thrilled that you showed the paper piecing method for the borders. I will certainly be using that! Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Helen, your blocks are so pretty! I like that you always try to use stuff you already have. And you’re good at inventing new versions. I haven’t started yet…I’m still trying to figure out a color scheme and I also have to finish the previous BOM. Good luck, it’s coming along well.

• Profile Image
    replied
    Finished 4 blocks. Have not trimmed to size, yet. What fun! I used Jen’s templates and did machine piece. The curves were very gentle and surprisingly easy.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Wendy, It was not the plan, I started by making a couple white crescents but it jumped out too much,
    so I made a couple purple and it seemed too dark, not enough contrast. Then I just laid the purple
    one down with just 1/4 white showing and thought, OK, I like that. I made one plastic template with
    the quarter inch seam allowance and one template without the seam allowance. I used repositional
    glue to hold the templates to the back of the fabrics. Cut them out with 1/4 extra fabric seam allowance
    that I folded over the template with a little glue and the iron. Judith's technique and I just love it.
    Dot glued the colored crescent to the white one leaving the 1/4 inch showing. Then cut the white
    away on the back side. to reduce bulk. I think it could be done with bias tape. If you used 1/4
    bias tape you could top stitch it in place and not go thru all my workaround idea. I was just trying
    to use stuff I already had. I like having the white that was used in the center block, because repetition in blocks for colors is something I like. HelenW

• Profile Image
    replied
    Here's my block 1 and 2. I did a blanket stitch with black thread on the 20 block 2's instead of hand or invisible by machine. I may add a little of this stitch to each block where appropriate. Working on the fan borders next.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Gorgeous. Love the look.
    How did you add the white strips?

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Love the look your quilt is going. Would love to know how you did your white strips please!

• Profile Image
    replied
    Month one done, steadily doing the fan blocks and have the first of 20 blocks done for month two. Like doing the appliqué method. Thanks Barb.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    Great start to Feb. month 2. Hoping I will have time to do my fan border blocks this month too.
    Waiting for Barbara's video and fan info before proceeding with them.
    Decided to go with my modified flower block instead of the one we will learn next month. It is fun
    to rearrange the blocks to see what combinations looks like. HelenW

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Great photos, thanks for sharing. Love those Lollies fabrics. I should try that, I have some.

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Sheridan, Sometimes while keeping tension on the fabric for hand piecing the bias will stretch, but
    you said the dots matched up, so that should not be your problem. Did you cut the long outside seam

that runs the side of the block on the straight of grain. That often prevents waves along the edge
    of the block. The cross grain does have some stretch and I have had problems in the past when
    I made borders using crossgrain cuts of fabric. Lay your templates on top of the pieces in the
    block to confirm they are perfect size. You might try pressing the block, when I super zoom your
    block, (click on the picture and then click on the first symbol in the upper right corner). I can
    see a shadow that means the cresant is not flat. Don't know if that will help. Good pictures of your block and templates can
    you post a picture of the back? Maybe we can see something in the seams that might have caused it.
    HelenW

I just took a piece of ruled paper and it looks like the red striped fabric is about 1/4 inch wider than the
    other 3. Could be the angle of picture when you took it. I have an iMac 27 inch screen, so it seemed
    noticeable on something that big. Worth a measure.
    Last edited by Helen W.; 02-04-2024, 07:23 AM.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2285 users online. 132 members and 2153 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
X