Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Pieced block 2

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Image
    replied
    OK, I've got the block pieced and I think I've figured out the simplest way to put it together. I do think it could be done by machine, particularly with glue basting to keep it from getting too fiddly. There's an order you can piece it where all of the curves are pretty smooth and gentle.

I'll draw up a little diagram and get it posted -- I've got some cooking to do for tomorrow, but will get it assembled as soon as I can!

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    My email is bbquiltmaker AT gmail. It is also how you can contact me via my blog.

• Profile Image
    replied
    Barbara, You over estimate my skill in EQ8. It is trial and error, luck and persistence.
    I took one block from the block library under orange peel and changed it to 8 inches.
    Then I figured the center square was 2 inches and started drawing new lines and deleting old lines.
    That worked after a lot of tweaks. Then I made another block taking a screen shot of the block. Brought
    in from image files as a photo, and used the tracing feature. I have never sent a EQ8 file but I tried dragging
    it into an email to myself and it worked. So I think I can send you the file. I don't have your email anymore,
    and our email has changed since the work on the website a few years back. Can you get my email off the
    account part, or be able to get your email to me again. Remember, This is close but not the exact block in
    the quilt. I just wanted to try a sample using hand piecing since I have never done that and I won't be
    getting the templates until next month. What a challenge with this quilt. I really think I will learn a lot this year.
    HelenW

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Once you have the tricks down for curves, they're not hard at all. And they make you feel like a superstar quilter.

I'm nearly done stitching this block, and I'll post my stitching order. Jen may have another suggested option -- usually when she does a BOM, she's got monthly short videos with tips, tricks, and points to watch out for. I can think of at least one other way than the one I went with, so I'll try that next time.

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Helen how did you draw that block? Your skills in EQ8 are far superior to mine. I would love to have your project file.

• Profile Image
    replied
    Sonia, Watched the glue basting video immediately went down to my sewing room to try. Love, love, love how easy it is.
    Here are two blocks with curves left one by machine right one by hand. And that is the first hand stitching of blocks I have
    ever done. I can't buy the templates until next month. Really hoping they will still be some left. I drew up a similar block to
    block 2 in EQ8. Printed out the templates. I would like to play around with a sample. If I am doing it by hand, what order
    would you do? HelenW
    CLICK ON PICTURE TO SEE WHOLE PICTURE
    Look like the wording overlay did not print.

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    commented on 's reply
    Sonia, I am loving this already. Your glue basting tip is perfect.. My skeptic mind thought, no way with a convex and concave can you glue baste it. Thanks for providing the free tutorial in this post to see it done.
    I could not believe it looks so easy, and I have struggled for years with curved seams. I am going to
    learn a ton thru this BOM. Thanks for stepping up. Your help is much appreciated. HelenW

• Profile Image
    replied
    While I'm doing that -- Barbara, have you tried glue basting? It's so good for curves!

Jen Carlton-Bailey has some really good free tutorials, here's one on basting: https://bettycrockerass.com/tips-and...baste-a-curve/

And here you can see how easy it goes once it's glue-basted: https://bettycrockerass.com/tips-and...ew-gallery-60/

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    replied
    I just finished cutting out my test pieces! Right off the bat, I can see that it would be easy to mark the sewing lines on the curves inaccurately, which would make this a total bugger.

For context, this is the kind of block Jen likes to refer to as "an easy one."

Let me stitch it up and then share some thoughts and tips on the specifics ...

Leave a comment:

• Profile Image
    started a topic Pieced block 2

Pieced block 2

This is Pieced Block 2. It won't be published for a few months into the 2024 BOM. After hand piecing one as a test block, I have been trying to figure out how to alter the block for machine piecing but still have it look like the original. My efforts so far have been too hard to justify the extra time to design it that way.

There have been suggestions to change the block, either a little or a lot, and that is still a possibility. It is YOUR quilt, you get to decide how you want to make it.

As people are starting to receive their template sets, they can start to make "practice" blocks, always a good idea if a technique is new to you or one you need to improve your skills on before cutting your "precious" fabric.

Sonia said in The Big Reveal! Topic she is very experienced at hand piecing Jen Kingwell blocks so I am looking to her for advice on how to hand piece this specific block. There are 20 of these in the quilt.

We will use this TOPIC to discuss Pieced Block 2.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2217 users online. 115 members and 2102 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
X