Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 3 — Show Your Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 3 — Show Your Progress Here

Please use this Topic to share your progress.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

The Quilt Police are after me for speeding ahead. I will try to contain my eagerness in the months ahead. Sure having
      fun. HelenW
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Helen W.; 02-28-2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Marilyn M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking fabulous.....beautiful adaptation of Sarah's pattern! Love your colours as well.

• commented
        Editing a comment
        I love it! Wondering where did you get the pattern for the coneflowers?

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        For my coneflowers, I took a couple pieces of vellum that you can see thru, and traced the space
        I wanted to fill. Then made a copy of the quilt pattern, cut out one coneflower, which was 1 inch in size. I enlarged that 400% which made it 4 inches wide. I enlarged that one to the point is was
        filling the size I wanted. Then printed on freezer paper for my pattern. It is not perfect, my 26 inch
        center area, is slightly larger, but I made my whole cloth background larger in case I needed it. I have resized the next border to 3 inches instead of 4 which will
        get me back to where it should be. I use the BOM's to stretch my ability to adapt patterns. For me
        it is great fun!!!
        I just realized while writing this that I could have taken that 1 inch coneflower and imported into my
        EQ8 software as a photo, then enlarged it to 9 inches wide and just printed it out on freezer paper.
        I am very unconventional when it comes to the way I do things. The Quilt Police would put me away for life. HelenW
        Last edited by Helen W.; 03-04-2023, 07:41 AM.

Here is my Month 3 block. I am holding off 2 leaves each section until coneflowers are done.
      I really enjoyed Sarah’s appliqué video and making the points in the leaves. This worked very well for me.
      Happy Quilting to all!
      Linda H
      Happy Quilting 

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        I like how you used the darker purple for the larger circles and then the pops of color fo the smaller
        ones. It makes the hollyhocks look like they are radiating out from the center. Very pretty.HelenW

On a roll. Just keep moving on. HelenW

Comment

• commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful!!!

Here's my month 3. Saving a few leaves as suggested until after the coneflower petals/leaves are attached. My tiniest circles make me think of oyster crackers LOL I did get better the more I did.

New to applique, so I'm wondering how you stop the edges from fraying as you work on the applique?
      Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Carol, Your quilt is coming along beautifully. Are you doing turned edge appliqué or raw edge fusible, or needle turn? My quilt just above yours on this page is raw edge fusible. I do a 1.0- 1.0 zig zag and
        then cover over that with a twisted thread chain stitch. Batiks are better about not fraying, but flannels that I am using for this quilt fray a lot. I starched the fabric before putting the steam a seam on it. That helps some. I can't see any fraying on your circles, so I assume you are doing needle turn
        or turned edge. It is looking good. HelenW

• Carol G. commented
        Editing a comment
        Helen On my tiniest circles, I did needle turn. On the larger ones, I did turned edge. I guess I'm doing a little bit of it all because my stems are machine appliqued LOL The fraying I am getting is on the 10.5" fabric square. It isn't horrible, but it might make 1/16" shortage.
        Your blocks are beautiful!

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Carol, When you get ready to sew your blocks together, you could make a template the size of the finished block without seam allowance. Center the finished size template on the back, mark the
        stitching lines with a Frixtion pen. It will be perfect size and any fraying loss will be in the seam allowance, and the block
        will be perfect. If you just stitch the normal 1/4 on your blocks, then the loss of size will be in the
        finished block, not the seam allowance. I do this all the time, because applique pull up the background fabric a bit, and you can lose maybe 1/8 inch. That is why I also, alway cut the back
        ground bigger then trim to exact size using a paper template when I am done with the block.
        HelenW

Month 3 done.
      Given a choice, Choose Joy……

Comment

I am a needle turn applique fan, so am really enjoying this beautiful design. For the stems I scored and trimmed my strips and then put them through the Clover tool. Worked quite well for me. I left off some leaves as suggested. Stitching around circle templates, drawing up and then ironing the edge worked best for me; even the little ones.
        Looking forward to the next step.
        Joy

Comment

Finished with month 3. All of the leaves are done but waiting to piece in coneflowers before attaching the rest.

Comment

Deb B
            Minnesota

Comment

Month 3 done. It's all hand applique. I ended up doing the tin foil method on the tiniest of the circles since my first one needle turned was so terrible! I put 4 leaves on per block and will put the last two next month (just in case). Little by little, I'm getting my applique chops back!
              Nina-Marie
              Albion, PA
              ninamariesayre.blogspot.com
              "Make it Work", Tim Gunn

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi NinaMarie, Your progress is looking great. I saw your blogspot listed at the bottom on your post on rusty pins in your glue. I went to your site and really enjoyed your posts. I saw where you put your intentions out there for getting involved in the TQS BOM . I am just the opposite of you. You said you
                were going to follow the pattern exactly, no exceptions. I use the BOM to take a concept and then
                change it out to be what I would have done using just the framework of designer. It is all so much
                fun. HelenW Harrison Idaho.

• NinaMarie commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Helen, I'm glad you like my blog. Thanks! There will always be a mixture of art, quilts, traditional and contemporary there. Normally, I do all my own original work. I mean truly, I can't even remember when I actually even tried to follow a pattern. So I thought I would give the BOM to hone up some rusty traditional skills. You never know when you're going to find a new technique that works for you, right?!

I survived the circles!!! My biggest challenge was to pick the colours and fabrics. And then I am still learning different appliqué techniques. For the circles, I mostly basted them on the Karen Kay Buckley templates, ironed with starch and sewed on. The leaves were needle turned and I find they are puffier and not entirely sure I mastered the technique quite yet. I have yet to trim the block and give it a bit more ironing. But for now it will do, so. can work on my Garden Party Down Under Month 2.

Comment

• NinaMarie commented
                Editing a comment
                Kati, I really love the colors you chose. Actually, you got me wondering where this color scheme is going. I especially like the star print and the surprise of the little circles in gold at the end of the stems.

Comment

I used stash fabrics, but quilt show background. I found to make bias stems, easiest for me was clover 1/4 inch bias stem maker, and I used Karen Kay Buckleys perfect circles. Alex Andersond method to stitch the bias stems, but my first attempt at hand applique! So far, I am not a only learning, but enjoying the process!

Comment

Here is my month 3 progress. First time doing needle turn applique and improving with each leaf. I used Karen Kay Buckley method to make my circles. Really enjoying this.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1156 users online. 229 members and 927 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25246   Active Members: 1,500  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X