Quilting Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

• Fiona Schiffl Rooster pattern
    I don't need to start any more projects but I am loving this rooster. I need to retire.
  • antique map wall hanging
    I have no idea about what type of binding is acceptable for a quilt show but it sounds like an awesome project. I thought...
  • antique map wall hanging
    I am working on a wall hanging that is a map of Westeros. This is intended to eventually end up in a quilt show (if I ever...
  • MONTH 8 -- Share Your Progress Here
    Stunning! Love it!
  • Fiona Schiffl Rooster pattern
    Dee, Where do you find these fabulous artists??? When I saw the newsletter this morning I thought that stained
    glass...
  • Month 3 — ASK QUESTIONS HERE
    I don't know if this is too late to help anyone. It is August and I am just working on Month 3 (also 4, & 5 at the...
    Month 8
  • Collage with Cori Dantani fabric
    I am looking for the show where an artist was using a Cori Dantini fabric in a collage technique. Thanks!
    Loved the vase this month. Can't believe we can see then end!
    Pamela, Love the bag hanging on the door knob too. Great color palette. Like Barbara says lovely and soothing. HelenW
  • Help
    1807 Katie Fowler
  • Color my world — your finish here
    It’s most likely a seam allowance problem. There are many and they have to be accurate. You may also find it helpful to...
  • Month 3 — SHOW YOUR PROGRESS
    This is my block 3 replacing pieced 4 patch. For keeping her style here, I incorporated Irene's other designs. And this...
  • Help
    I watched a show where the quilter cut up finished quilts would anyone have any knowledge of who...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Color my world fit problem. The last section of tall buildings is about 2” bigger than the inner section. How do I fix...
    Pamela, this is such a beautiful quilt. I love so much about it. Just lovely, soothing, really speaks to me. Great job!
    I saw Barbara’s bom under My Sample, I am so inspired by the jewel tones. I especially like Barbara’s July & August...
    Your vase fabric is great with the jug's shape - gives it a real feeling of "round-ness" -- and the leaf colors...
  • No more items.

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

Our Sponsors

MONTH 1 -- Show Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

This reply by mljoans has been deleted by mljoans

Love seeing all the progress, here is a picture of my progress, all glued down and ready for needle turn. I did change one thing to add more blue a. It is so helpful to take a photo of your work and view it that way to see if it is what you want. The second photo shows the changes I made

First month is done. Some take aways: use less glue (just ordered better applicator),, try hand buttonhole stitch around some flower centers. Check contrasts of overlapping bits (blue flower on vase doesn't show up as much as I'd like), preference is to use Perfect Circles rather than doing small circles with Appliquick - don't like the heavy feel of the Print and Piece in such a small element, fun to fussy cut the circles for flower centers, I made each branch of stems and leaves in same fabric to cut down on busy-ness,
      I used 80 wt off-white thread for most of the appliqué but switched to 50 wt Aurafil colored thread for the flowers. I've ordered the TQS bobbin set for future blocks as I like to match the thread to the fabric.
      and finally- I survived making 30 1/2" grapes !!!!.
      Using mostly Tula Pink fabric with some stash fillers. The background triangles in the border are varied prints of white tone on tone.
      Overall, I'm very pleased and looking forward to Month 2. I love doing turned appliqué.
      I

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful, Peg. You are wise to think about lessons learned from month 1. That makes Month 2 easier. Your grapes are wonderful!

I have my center piece up to this point. I am waiting for my Perfect Circles templates by Karen Buckley to arrive so I can finish some of the flower centers, other small circles and berries on the lower vines on the left. I have added some of my own fabrics for the leaves and taken some license with some of the vines and their placements. Since I am only making 1/4 inch bias vines not 1/8 inch I had to adjust the vine on the lower left side.

Comment

[QUOTE=MSHendel;n891096]First month is done. Some take aways: use less glue (just ordered better applicator),, try hand buttonhole stitch around some flower centers. Check contrasts of overlapping bits (blue flower on vase doesn't show up as much as I'd like), preference is to use Perfect Circles rather than doing small circles with Appliquick - don't like the heavy feel of the Print and Piece in such a small element, fun to fussy cut the circles for flower centers, I made each branch of stems and leaves in same fabric to cut down on busy-ness,
        I used 80 wt off-white thread for most of the appliqué but switched to 50 wt Aurafil colored thread for the flowers. I've ordered the TQS bobbin set for future blocks as I like to match the thread to the fabric.
        and finally- I survived making 30 1/2" grapes !!!!.
        Using mostly Tula Pink fabric with some stash fillers. The background triangles in the border are varied prints of white tone on tone.
        Overall, I'm very pleased and looking forward to Month 2. I love doing turned appliqué.
        I [/QUOTE]

Peg, You are great with color. It is so cheerful and fun. Glad to see you putting some embroidery in there. I am working two variations. One is my perfect garden party, pulling all things that I like from any patterns that I have, and the second is going to
        be embroidery on a dark background. Not sure that will get any further than just the center block, but we will see. HelenW

Comment

Center block #2. Just playing around. HelenW

Comment

Comment

Comment

This is my progress to date. I’m using raw edge machine appliqué. I love seeing what everyone is doing and how different each block is. Forgot to mention, thanks m using fabrics from my stash.
                Last edited by Joanne B.; 01-15-2022, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Eileen K. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Joanne, I love your colors! I'm using stash fabrics too.

• Peg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  lovely color choices, so soothing.

My block is finished and all is appliquéd. I made 1 paper-pieced side and pinned it up to check colors. I haven’t trimmed the block to size yet.
                Last edited by Jo Anne; 01-16-2022, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Lynnanne commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful colors!

• soniasimone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really effective with the dark background and your great color choices.

[QUOTE=Jo Anne;n891166]My block is finished and all is appliquéd. I made 1 paper-pieced side and pinned it up to check colors. I haven’t trimmed the block to size yet. [/QUOTE]

Beautiful, Jo Anne! The dark background is striking.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL
                https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

This reply by Sandra Hand-hand_rs1 has been deleted by Sandra Hand-hand_rs1

Month 1 done! Well that was an enjoyable challenge! In the past I have always avoided appliqué but because of this quilt, I have made it my goal for this year [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":891185}[/ATTACH] to see if I can master this skill. It will be interesting to see if I have improved by December. I actually enjoyed every minute of the process this month and although it is far from perfect, I am happy with my results (fabrics from stash). Thanks TQS!
                  Attached Files
                  This reply by Sandra Hand-hand_rs1 has been deleted by Sandra Hand-hand_rs1

Month 1 done! That was an enjoyable challenge! I have always avoided applique but because of this quilt, I have made it my goal for 2022 to see if I can master this skill. It will be interesting to see if I have improved by December. I actually enjoyed every minute of the process this month and although it is far from perfect, I am happy with my results (fabrics from stash). Thanks TQS!

Comment

Here’s my Month 1 block, done with needle turn appliqué. My real garden has grey slate paving stones so I took those as a model for my border. The second picture shows my plan including my inspiration fabric at the top. I used that fabric as border.
                    Susanne

Comment

• Marge P. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your border is charming, this is a fabulous block!

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1573 users online. 1157 members and 416 guests.

Most users ever online was 7,765 at 03:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,972   Posts: 150,545   Members: 21237   Active Members: 2,066  
                  Welcome to our newest member, Michelle Altherr-mrtjaltherr.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X