Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 1 -- Show Progress Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all stitched down yet.
    Suzanne Chickite

Comment

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      Very pretty, I love that vase fabric.

[QUOTE=eileenkny;n890716]How did you soften them after using the terial magic? My fabric comes out like paper when I use it.[/QUOTE]

Hey Eileen (and Mike!) I use LOTS of starch when I do machine appliqué, knowing that I intend to wash the quilt when it’s finished, and the result is a soft quilt. It does not look like a crisp work of art to be inspected on a the wall, but a usable work of art destined to wrap someone with love! It’s just how I roll!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Just a few more flowers and maybe a bumble bee or dragon fly and I will be ready to fuse and start stitching.
      I am doing raw edge fusible using a 1.0 - 1.0 zig zag stitch. HelenW

Comment

• betty k. commented
        Editing a comment
        absolutely gorgeous!!

• PatLustig commented
        Editing a comment
        You are a painter with fabric and a lover of gardens. Thank you for sharing your joy and talent. It encourages me to be to be more adventurous. Eagerly awaiting your progress.

[QUOTE=HelenW;n890728]Just a few more flowers and maybe a bumble bee or dragon fly and I will be ready to fuse and start stitching.
      I am doing raw edge fusible using a 1.0 - 1.0 zig zag stitch. HelenW[/QUOTE]

Beautiful! As a dragonfly fan, that's my vote. Amazing how it is "inspired by" GPDU but not the same at all.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

[QUOTE=Barbara Black;n890735]

Beautiful! As a dragonfly fan, that's my vote. Amazing how it is "inspired by" GPDU but not the same at all. [/QUOTE]

Barbara, I do Not have a green thumb, or art lessons for that matter, so I do what I mentioned at the beginning of this quilt,
        I find pattern designers that I love the looks of their work, buy the patterns, and then rework to make my ideal vision of what ever I am working on. So I invited Pearl P. Pereira to my Garden Party. This is an smaller, and slightly tweaked version of her center
        block in Baltimore Spring. McKeena Ryan will also probably show up at my party. And after seeing Ricky's quirky birdhouses in
        his music video last week, I think I will need a bunch of bird houses too. Thanks for compliment. It is all so much fun. HelenW

Comment

Ready to fuse the block and make the borders. I am trying the applique dog tooth. The bottom border is the only one I have on the background fabric so far. I think I am going to like not having all the bulk of sewing seams. I would normally do foundation paper pieced for this type of border.
          HelenW

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful, Helen. Love the extra added critters.

• Lynnanne commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s beautiful Helen. You are so inspiring and generous with your help to all of us.

• Marg D. commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful. Such talent.

I've gotten to this point, using turned edge applique. I have never done this before, so I took some time to try a few different preparation methods until I found one I like. Now it's moving along! I also plan to take off those lighter stems and replace them with darker ones. The light ones just disappear against this background.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful, Amy! Love your vase.

Here's my week 1 progress. This is needle-turn, and my curves are still pretty rocky, but I know they'll get better. I can embroider around some of the worst offenders later if they still bug me. :)

I've been tempted to do these finished-edge, but I want to use this project to get good at needle-turn. The vases will be done with Appliquick, though.

I'm working mostly from my stash, but I did pick up a few background fabrics.

I have something different planned for the quilt's outer border, which I'm working on as I go as well.
          Hand piecer, big-stitch quilter, pattern tweaker 

Comment

• Lynnanne commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s going to be so pretty. Good job!

• soniasimone commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, Lynnanne! :)

[QUOTE=soniasimone;n890810]Here's my week 1 progress. This is needle-turn, and my curves are still pretty rocky, but I know they'll get better. I can embroider around some of the worst offenders later if they still bug me. :)

I've been tempted to do these finished-edge, but I want to use this project to get good at needle-turn. The vases will be done with Appliquick, though.

I'm working mostly from my stash, but I did pick up a few background fabrics.

I have something different planned for the quilt's outer border, which I'm working on as I go as well.[/QUOTE]

Soniasimone, Good selections of greens for your stems and leaves. I love using up little pieces of stash fabrics because,
          I always hate to throw any pieces away. Like you I have bought the background fabric, and the rest I am hoping to pull
          from my scraps. How are you going to do your borders. Are you doing applique for the dog tooth borders? I am trying it with
          a fusible with turned edge. I really like how nice and flat it is. Don't have all the seams coming together to making it lumpy along
          the top and bottom seams like when you piece the triangles. HelenW

Comment

Working on a spring project while snow is coming down!!! HelenW

Comment

• Lynnanne commented
              Editing a comment
              What a contrast!

All turned and glued down. Now, for the hand stitching!

Comment

• AmyE commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful!

• betty k. commented
              Editing a comment
              beautiful!!!

• Donna B. commented
              Editing a comment
              I love the berries!

[QUOTE=HelenW;n890819]

Soniasimone, Good selections of greens for your stems and leaves. I love using up little pieces of stash fabrics because,
            I always hate to throw any pieces away. Like you I have bought the background fabric, and the rest I am hoping to pull
            from my scraps. How are you going to do your borders. Are you doing applique for the dog tooth borders? I am trying it with
            a fusible with turned edge. I really like how nice and flat it is. Don't have all the seams coming together to making it lumpy along
            the top and bottom seams like when you piece the triangles. HelenW[/QUOTE]

I'm going to appliqué the dogtooth borders, and then I'm doing a pieced outer border that's not diamonds. I'm doing Jen Kingwell's Bowie Stars BOM as well right now, and it's all diamonds, so I'm going to change it up a little. :)
            Hand piecer, big-stitch quilter, pattern tweaker 

Comment

[QUOTE=soniasimone;n890838]

I'm going to appliqué the dogtooth borders, and then I'm doing a pieced outer border that's not diamonds. I'm doing Jen Kingwell's Bowie Stars BOM as well right now, and it's all diamonds, so I'm going to change it up a little. :) [/QUOTE]

Sonia, I looked up Jen Kingwell's Bowie Star, what a fabulous quilt. Love the huge hexagon. It is interesting how so many Australian designers do piecing by applique. Is that whole quilt made by hand. Love the idea of applique, English Paper piecing,
              and hand embroidery all in one quilt. That quilt has a ton of pieced diamonds. Are they made by hand? Can't wait to see
              what you come up with for your outside border. HelenW

Comment

• soniasimone commented
                Editing a comment
                Jen is a hand piecer, but a good number are doing it by machine. I do everything by hand, so her patterns tend to work well for me. :) Those numerous little corner diamonds can be done either way.

There's some appliqué on the Bowie Stars quilt, but most of it is pieced.

I'm moving very slowly, my quilting, applique and stash building experience is less than 6 months old.

I wanted to share that I found that the template C pieces can be treated like a half perfect circle. Baste the curved area and shape it out of a cardboard cutout.. then to the ironing board. No fusibles,

Comment

• AmyE commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought about trying that, but I was almost though them. Great to know it works. i will use it on future flowers! I discovered that four layers of freezer paper pressed together, make a template that is as sturdy as light cardboard. It's handy because you can trace the shapes onto one layer, then iron four layers together with the traced images on top to cut out, I think they would be sturdy enough for this method.

• Paula S. commented
                Editing a comment
                Freezer paper works really well, but I have pledged to use no plastics in my crafting for 2022 (unless they are recycled from something i already have)... A very serious handicap...argh

• Peg commented
                Editing a comment
                Completely forgot about doing the string draw up technique on petals! I used it on the circles. Thanks for the reminder. I use 3 layers of freezer paper so that might work for Paula S - or add more layers to make really stiff?? I tried making flowers all as one piece but didn't like the look so went back to individual petals. I like the results. Photos soon - sewing down the 30!! grapes first so I don't lose them.

Well, my plan is ready… fabrics chosen for block 1 and some pieces pressed onto freezer paper. I embroidered they berry vine. I love the batik fabric for the vase! For appliqué, I am using the freezer paper/starch technique. For my Rosa’s tools, I use a fondue fork and a flat head screwdriver!

Comment

• Georgia B. commented
                Editing a comment
                Jo Anne, I love your fabric selection! Can you share information on the dark background fabric? Name, etc. Thank you.
                Last edited by Georgia B.; 01-08-2022, 07:59 PM.

• Jo Anne commented
                Editing a comment
                Georgia, thank you! This background is from Northcott Fabrics called Simply Neutral Black Lines. Thank you, Barbara and Redshoes24 for your kind comments.

• Georgia B. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, Jo Anne!

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1144 users online. 202 members and 942 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X