Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have watched all the recommended videos- wonderful resources! One video showed using medium weight clear upholstery vinyl for an overlay when placing applique shapes on background. I went online to Joann Fabrics - avoiding in person contact- and they sell several thicknesses. Medium covers a wide range from 10 mil to 20 mil. Help!

Comment

[[email protected];n891055]Barbara - first of all thanks so much for your hard work and information on this! I am so excited to work on this. Every morning i feel like a little kid at Christmas - LOL! I know that applique patterns do not have the 1" scale box but i think there is one page in your information that does have a 1" scale box. I am having difficulty finding that one page now - does anyone remember the file name and specific page that has that scale box? Thanks! :o)[/QUOTE]

Victoria, it's the Alternative Dogtooth border, paper pieced PDF. My instructions for it is a separate file--Optional Alternative Instructions--that covers several things, turned edge machine applique as well as the paper pieced Dogtooth Borders for Months 1 and 2.
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL
      https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
      "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

[QUOTE=CLPrince;n891056]I have watched all the recommended videos- wonderful resources! One video showed using medium weight clear upholstery vinyl for an overlay when placing applique shapes on background. I went online to Joann Fabrics - avoiding in person contact- and they sell several thicknesses. Medium covers a wide range from 10 mil to 20 mil. Help![/QUOTE]

Becky Goldsmith is the pro with that technique, her website for her business, Piece O Cake designs, probably discusses it and she sells a C&T product for this--that will also tell you the thickness. The thinnest is going to be the best..
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

• Connie P. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

[QUOTE=CLPrince;n891056]I have watched all the recommended videos- wonderful resources! One video showed using medium weight clear upholstery vinyl for an overlay when placing applique shapes on background. I went online to Joann Fabrics - avoiding in person contact- and they sell several thicknesses. Medium covers a wide range from 10 mil to 20 mil. Help![/QUOTE]

Connie P, You can make a semi clear overlay using vellum paper. It runs thru the printer, so you can just make a copy of the pattern on vellum, tape it together like the regular pattern and you are ready to place your pieces. When printing on vellum I put in one sheet at a time because the ink takes longer to dry because the paper is slippery. Using tweezers to hold the pieces is a good way to shift the pieces around tp get them exacts where you want them. Works better than fingers for me. HelenW

Comment

Can anyone tell me if there is a free program I can bring the coloring page in and color it to try different color before I cut out my flowers?

Comment

Hi Barbara, I saw Rubie, your featherweight. I just bought for x-Mas a new thing you may be interested in. A converter for Rubie to become a real treadle. It is at Featherweightshop.com. Pretty sure that's the address. I got mine for embroidering with my Minnie FW. The treadle has so much more control of the speed, as you use the real treadle to sew with. I'm sorry I didn't know where else to write you about that. Since you have the treadle, you may want to use her that way. You move the fabric back & forth. It lets you embroider all your own designs.

Comment

Barbara, where is the link to the Alternate Optional Techniques pdf ? I printed it once for 2 sides of the dogtooth border, but now I can't find the document anywhere to print the pp for the other two sides. Thanks!
              Donna Carter
              from Pine, Colorado
              High in the Rocky Mountains

Comment

[QUOTE=Donna2018;n891111]Barbara, where is the link to the Alternate Optional Techniques pdf ? I printed it once for 2 sides of the dogtooth border, but now I can't find the document anywhere to print the pp for the other two sides. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Month 1 Documents/Patterns--it is one of the 6 Documents/Patterns for Month 1.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

• Donna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Barbara!

Circles; How do you all make the small circles? I used my smallest applipop (the metal washer) and it’s bigger than the pattern. Do I look for another method? What do you all recommend? Thanks in advance

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use Karen K Buckley's Perfect Circles.

[QUOTE=Donna2018;n891111]Barbara, where is the link to the Alternate Optional Techniques pdf ? I printed it once for 2 sides of the dogtooth border, but now I can't find the document anywhere to print the pp for the other two sides. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Donna, Be sure to post some pictures. I am loving all the different variations of this block that everyone is doing. HelenW

Comment

Hi! Where can I find the image that shows the block for each month? Marie

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In the SEE QUILTS tab

I have almost completed the center applique. I used the Print & Piece Fuse Lite to form my hand applique pieces around and then appliqueing by hand. Do you suggest gently washing the center piece before trimming and attaching the borders? I am very nervous that the fusible will not wash out. In all honesty, I think I will complete the remainder of the applique blocks using needle turn. In the long run, it will be less time consuming and less messy.
                  Bonnie Goodrich
                  No matter where I roam,
                  Montana is my home.

Comment

[QUOTE=bonbon;n891138]I have almost completed the center applique. I used the Print & Piece Fuse Lite to form my hand applique pieces around and then appliqueing by hand. Do you suggest gently washing the center piece before trimming and attaching the borders? I am very nervous that the fusible will not wash out. In all honesty, I think I will complete the remainder of the applique blocks using needle turn. In the long run, it will be less time consuming and less messy.[/QUOTE]

I started doing that with my machine appliqué blocks last May and had bleeding with a blue batik so I waited until the quilt was completed before washing with Color Catchers. Most of the product washes out and my quilt is soft.
                    Barbara Black
                    Huntsville AL

Comment

Sorry, I couldn’t find another place to ask this question. I’m trying to get ahead a bit as I’ll be away in February. Can you tell me approximately how many inches of stem is used in Block 2?

Comment

[[email protected];n891143]Sorry, I couldn’t find another place to ask this question. I’m trying to get ahead a bit as I’ll be away in February. Can you tell me approximately how many inches of stem is used in Block 2?[/QUOTE]

Joanne B, You can get a head start on Block 2 by prepping your dog tooth borders. Barbara said they are the same size.
                        If you look at this zoom picture that was posted under feature quilts, you will need 11 on each side. That makes a total of 44.
                        Also, You should be able to approximate the amount of bias needed. The dog tooth triangles are 3 inches across the bottom, so that
                        makes the area on each side 33 inches.Take off about 4 1/2 inches for the basket areas at end of each border and maybe 4 inches for the flower in the middle. If you look at the dog tooth going down the sides. It looks like 1 and 1/2 for the width
                        of the applique area. That would be 4 and 1/2 inches. Using your cutting mat you could use a piece of yarn or ribbon and make
                        a gentle curve that looks similar to the picture. Cut the piece off at the end of the curves and then measure. That would be approximate need for one side. I got about 40 inches, then subtract the corner baskets and flowers. Then multiple times 4 for all 4 sides. You could just make one yard per side and be in the ball park. It looks to me like about 15 to 18 inches for each of the 8 vines. This is all just guessing. HelenW
                        Last edited by Helen W.; 01-16-2022, 07:10 AM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1058 users online. 202 members and 856 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X