Collapse

Our Sponsors

Month 1 -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=msquiltlady;n891044]Barbara you mentioned someone in your group used pearls 8 thread to make the for the stems will all the berries. I found a pic some place but now can’t find it
    so how many strands. ? It looks like 2 rows of embroidery stitch but I can tell what stitch they used. Thank you [/QUOTE]

I don't know--it looks like a basic chain stitch. Try several stitches to see which you like. It also looks like one strand of Perle 8 thread.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Barbara - first of all thanks so much for your hard work and information on this! I am so excited to work on this. Every morning i feel like a little kid at Christmas - LOL! I know that applique patterns do not have the 1" scale box but i think there is one page in your information that does have a 1" scale box. I am having difficulty finding that one page now - does anyone remember the file name and specific page that has that scale box? Thanks! :o)

Comment

• Victoria C. commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry - had coffee and it kicked in and i found the page i was looking for.

I have watched all the recommended videos- wonderful resources! One video showed using medium weight clear upholstery vinyl for an overlay when placing applique shapes on background. I went online to Joann Fabrics - avoiding in person contact- and they sell several thicknesses. Medium covers a wide range from 10 mil to 20 mil. Help!

Comment

[[email protected];n891055]Barbara - first of all thanks so much for your hard work and information on this! I am so excited to work on this. Every morning i feel like a little kid at Christmas - LOL! I know that applique patterns do not have the 1" scale box but i think there is one page in your information that does have a 1" scale box. I am having difficulty finding that one page now - does anyone remember the file name and specific page that has that scale box? Thanks! :o)[/QUOTE]

Victoria, it's the Alternative Dogtooth border, paper pieced PDF. My instructions for it is a separate file--Optional Alternative Instructions--that covers several things, turned edge machine applique as well as the paper pieced Dogtooth Borders for Months 1 and 2.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

[QUOTE=CLPrince;n891056]I have watched all the recommended videos- wonderful resources! One video showed using medium weight clear upholstery vinyl for an overlay when placing applique shapes on background. I went online to Joann Fabrics - avoiding in person contact- and they sell several thicknesses. Medium covers a wide range from 10 mil to 20 mil. Help![/QUOTE]

Becky Goldsmith is the pro with that technique, her website for her business, Piece O Cake designs, probably discusses it and she sells a C&T product for this--that will also tell you the thickness. The thinnest is going to be the best..
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

• Connie P. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

[QUOTE=CLPrince;n891056]I have watched all the recommended videos- wonderful resources! One video showed using medium weight clear upholstery vinyl for an overlay when placing applique shapes on background. I went online to Joann Fabrics - avoiding in person contact- and they sell several thicknesses. Medium covers a wide range from 10 mil to 20 mil. Help![/QUOTE]

Connie P, You can make a semi clear overlay using vellum paper. It runs thru the printer, so you can just make a copy of the pattern on vellum, tape it together like the regular pattern and you are ready to place your pieces. When printing on vellum I put in one sheet at a time because the ink takes longer to dry because the paper is slippery. Using tweezers to hold the pieces is a good way to shift the pieces around tp get them exacts where you want them. Works better than fingers for me. HelenW

Comment

Can anyone tell me if there is a free program I can bring the coloring page in and color it to try different color before I cut out my flowers?

Comment

Hi Barbara, I saw Rubie, your featherweight. I just bought for x-Mas a new thing you may be interested in. A converter for Rubie to become a real treadle. It is at Featherweightshop.com. Pretty sure that's the address. I got mine for embroidering with my Minnie FW. The treadle has so much more control of the speed, as you use the real treadle to sew with. I'm sorry I didn't know where else to write you about that. Since you have the treadle, you may want to use her that way. You move the fabric back & forth. It lets you embroider all your own designs.

Comment

Barbara, where is the link to the Alternate Optional Techniques pdf ? I printed it once for 2 sides of the dogtooth border, but now I can't find the document anywhere to print the pp for the other two sides. Thanks!
                Donna Carter
                from Pine, Colorado
                High in the Rocky Mountains

Comment

[QUOTE=Donna2018;n891111]Barbara, where is the link to the Alternate Optional Techniques pdf ? I printed it once for 2 sides of the dogtooth border, but now I can't find the document anywhere to print the pp for the other two sides. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Month 1 Documents/Patterns--it is one of the 6 Documents/Patterns for Month 1.
                  Barbara Black
                  Huntsville AL

Comment

• Donna commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Barbara!

Circles; How do you all make the small circles? I used my smallest applipop (the metal washer) and it’s bigger than the pattern. Do I look for another method? What do you all recommend? Thanks in advance

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use Karen K Buckley's Perfect Circles.

[QUOTE=Donna2018;n891111]Barbara, where is the link to the Alternate Optional Techniques pdf ? I printed it once for 2 sides of the dogtooth border, but now I can't find the document anywhere to print the pp for the other two sides. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Donna, Be sure to post some pictures. I am loving all the different variations of this block that everyone is doing. HelenW

Comment

Hi! Where can I find the image that shows the block for each month? Marie

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In the SEE QUILTS tab

I have almost completed the center applique. I used the Print & Piece Fuse Lite to form my hand applique pieces around and then appliqueing by hand. Do you suggest gently washing the center piece before trimming and attaching the borders? I am very nervous that the fusible will not wash out. In all honesty, I think I will complete the remainder of the applique blocks using needle turn. In the long run, it will be less time consuming and less messy.
                    Bonnie Goodrich
                    No matter where I roam,
                    Montana is my home.

Comment

[QUOTE=bonbon;n891138]I have almost completed the center applique. I used the Print & Piece Fuse Lite to form my hand applique pieces around and then appliqueing by hand. Do you suggest gently washing the center piece before trimming and attaching the borders? I am very nervous that the fusible will not wash out. In all honesty, I think I will complete the remainder of the applique blocks using needle turn. In the long run, it will be less time consuming and less messy.[/QUOTE]

I started doing that with my machine appliqué blocks last May and had bleeding with a blue batik so I waited until the quilt was completed before washing with Color Catchers. Most of the product washes out and my quilt is soft.
                      Barbara Black
                      Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 508 users online. 266 members and 242 guests.

Most users ever online was 7,765 at 03:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,940   Posts: 150,163   Members: 20796   Active Members: 1,560  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                      X