Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Color my world — your finish here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to send photo

Comment

Well…. It’s done. 12 months plus of work. I customized a lot of it to be Los Angeles centric with vignettes of the LA City Hall, Watts Towers, Bullocks Wilshire, the Fox Theater in Westwood, UCLA Royce Hall, the Griffith Observatory, the Hollywood sign and our own home in Westwood Hills. Mostly Cherrywood solid fabric and the background is a Riley Blake map design. Waiting for an order for backing fabric to arrive before getting down to quilting. Heaving a great sigh of relief, but it was fun and a challenge. Thank you Barbara Black for the excellent instruction!
      Sally Gould Wright

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Sally, Love your finished results. It shows how much personal work you put into it. Love your background fabric. I would be tempted to put a dark brown or black outline stitch around the left
        top and bottom towers. It might just be the photo, but them seem to blend into the background
        fabric, a little more contrast might make them more evenly colored to the rest of the buildings.
        Just an idea. I think you did an incredible job. HelenW

• commented
        Editing a comment
        Incredible customizations! How did you do that?!

I finished my top today. I changed up the Australian tower to the Calgary tower to make it a little more personal. I added a black zinger around the center before add into the borders.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Eva, Your black zinger was a great idea for finishing it off. HelenW

Finally, I have finished my quilt top! It's been a fun and challenging ride. I know my quilting skills won't do this project justice. So I need to be patient until April, when my longarm quilter will work her magic.

Many thanks to Barbara for your excellent teaching during these past 12 months!!

Comment

Comment

• susanrfuller commented
          Editing a comment
          My top is finally finished. I used my own hand dyes for the houses, etc. The landmarks are all from the (San Francisco) East Bay Area: Golden Gate Bridge, UC Berkeley Campanile, Bay Bridge, Claremont Hotel.

• commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the whole thing including California tribute buildings and the bridges!

My Color My World top is finally finished. I needed be able to make do with the fabric scraps I had because the stores were often closing due to the pandemic so by taking someone’s suggestion on the forum and with helpful instructions from Helen I was able to reduce the pattern to 60%. Working with the tiny pieces was tedious! I changed two of the skyscapers to make the Mole Antonelliana which is symbol of the city of Torino, Italy where I live and, since I grew up in Littleton, Colorado, I made my own Capitol of Colorado building. Reading and looking at everyone’s work on the forum helps tremendously and Barbara Black with her enthusiasm has been so inspiring!

Comment

Thanbk you for this BOM 2021 pattern. I loved them!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynnanne View Post
            My Color My World top is finally finished. I needed be able to make do with the fabric scraps I had because the stores were often closing due to the pandemic so by taking someone’s suggestion on the forum and with helpful instructions from Helen I was able to reduce the pattern to 60%. Working with the tiny pieces was tedious! I changed two of the skyscapers to make the Mole Antonelliana which is symbol of the city of Torino, Italy where I live and, since I grew up in Littleton, Colorado, I made my own Capitol of Colorado building. Reading and looking at everyone’s work on the forum helps tremendously and Barbara Black with her enthusiasm has been so inspiring!
            Lynnanne, Congratulations of a fabulous finish to your Color My World at 60%. It is quite amazing to think that a bunch of little
            scraps of fabric can turn into such a wonderful looking wall hanging. It is a small world. I have a friend that moved from Idaho
            to Castle Rock Colorado. And she just bought a top of the line Babylock Array 6 thread embroidery machine at a shop in Littleton Colorado. Your personalize sky scraper buildings turned out great. Like me, you probably learned a lot from this BOM.
            I will be a Wendy Williams fan for life. HelenW

Comment

I had a wonderful time making this. Found this lovely fabric with birds for the background. Definitely stretched my skills. Now to quilt it! Good luck to me!!! Thank you Barbara for all you guidance and encouragement. Love seeing everyone's version.

Comment

• commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice, nice fabric choices!

My 60% is up on the wall. I used scraps from the buildings and a flange for the binding (I learned these from Ricky and Alex’s shows). Thank you Barbara and Helen for all your dedication to helping us and keeping us company throughout the year. On to the next one!

Comment

• commented
                Editing a comment
                Brilliant finishing touches!

Originally posted by Lynnanne View Post
              My 60% is up on the wall. I used scraps from the buildings and a flange for the binding (I learned these from Ricky and Alex’s shows). Thank you Barbara and Helen for all your dedication to helping us and keeping us company throughout the year. On to the next one!
              Lynneanne, What a great way to finish off your quilt. Using a black piping or flange and then the color pieced binding really ties the colors in the building to the outside edge. And l like the plain stippling because there is already so much going on with all the buildings, trees roads etc. It has been so much fun watching your progress on it. What a wonderful accomplishment. Well done.
              This retired PE teacher gives you an A+. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by HelenW View Post

Lynneanne, What a great way to finish off your quilt. Using a black piping or flange and then the color pieced binding really ties the colors in the building to the outside edge. And l like the plain stippling because there is already so much going on with all the buildings, trees roads etc. It has been so much fun watching your progress on it. What a wonderful accomplishment. Well done.
                This retired PE teacher gives you an A+. HelenW
                Thanks Helen. I wanted the quilting to look like clouds but it became too dense and comes off as stippling.Your support has been so appreciated and I’m taking your suggestion to try to work out a little every day too. The TQS projects are so good for learning new techniques and I would like to learn to be a more creative quilter now that I have more time. This retired violinist admires you and your quilts. Lynn

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lynn, If you want to put your own creative touch on your quilts, start gathering up pictures that are your favorite in all things. Like
                  you could google Violin art quilts and see what has been done. If you like a layout, take a screenshot and write a couple notes on
                  it about what you like about it. If you see a music quilt with music notes that were used in a creative way, sketch it or screen shots.
                  Same for flowers, birds, pets. Pieced blocks that you like the looks of, etc. You can just have a box where you throw all the inspiration stuff, and then when you are ready to start something, look at your stuff and see if there might we a way to work it into
                  what you are starting. Usually, it starts with just a few little changes to a pattern, then all of a sudden it is like you just want to put
                  the stuff you like into your quilts. The project might be something you are not too interested in, but just take it as a challenge to make
                  it into something you just love. When it comes to working out a little each day, that is wonderful, your muscles and joints are
                  as important as your teeth to your body. It is no different than brushing your teeth each day. There are lots of good you tubes
                  out there. Fitness Blenders has thousands of videos, and there is something for everyone and mostly free. Don't over do it. Just get in a habit
                  of a little everyday. HelenW

Originally posted by HelenW View Post
                Lynn, If you want to put your own creative touch on your quilts, start gathering up pictures that are your favorite in all things. Like
                you could google Violin art quilts and see what has been done. If you like a layout, take a screenshot and write a couple notes on
                it about what you like about it. If you see a music quilt with music notes that were used in a creative way, sketch it or screen shots.
                Same for flowers, birds, pets. Pieced blocks that you like the looks of, etc. You can just have a box where you throw all the inspiration stuff, and then when you are ready to start something, look at your stuff and see if there might we a way to work it into
                what you are starting. Usually, it starts with just a few little changes to a pattern, then all of a sudden it is like you just want to put
                the stuff you like into your quilts. The project might be something you are not too interested in, but just take it as a challenge to make
                it into something you just love. When it comes to working out a little each day, that is wonderful, your muscles and joints are
                as important as your teeth to your body. It is no different than brushing your teeth each day. There are lots of good you tubes
                out there. Fitness Blenders has thousands of videos, and there is something for everyone and mostly free. Don't over do it. Just get in a habit
                of a little everyday. HelenW
                Perfect Helen. I love the box idea because I see ideas in magazines and books but then they get lost or forgotten. And I will check out the exercise videos because it’s so easy to get taken away by other activities, especially sewing, and then run out of time and initiative to work out. Luckily we live near a park where we can go walking or jogging. I’m looking forward to watching your quilts come alive! Thanks again, Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 060352 View Post
                  Just finished the quilt top as the pattern is written. Enough of a challenge for me!
                  Me too!! And I have along way to go yet.

Comment

2021 COLOR MY WORLD With Bridges and the Gateway Arch... and 4 homes we brought babies home to.... I sort of 'personalized' this fun fun quilt.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1061 users online. 205 members and 856 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X