Collapse

Our Sponsors

Color my world — your finish here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As it has been almost 43 degrees celsius (110 fahrenheit) here in Perth Western Australia over the last week it has been too hot to finish my quilt so I will wait until winter to do that. I needed to lay it on the lawn to take a half decent photo to show off the brightly coloured fabrics I used, all from my stash except the background. Thank you to fellow Aussie Wendy Williams for a fabulous challenge, Barbara Black for her insight and assistance and to TQS for choosing such a wonderful BOM. I joined up as a Star Member as soon as I saw this was being offered and it has been one of my best decisions ever.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful DeanneB. I love your background.

My completed color my world from West Orange New Jersey. Out my back window I see the Empire State Building to the left and the Freedom tower to the right. Each of the small houses represent house I have lived in or own right now.The trees are all prepared edge appliqué. It may be hard to see all the little animals that I put in on this view. You can see it much better on Instagram #colormyworld2021 recent along with many other peoples quilts.
    I had a hard time loading this up and the color is off.
    I am very proud that I completed this top in 2021. Redesigning certain elements gave me a lot of satisfaction and headaches.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful, Carol. When I click on it I can enlarge the photo. Love your trees.

Originally posted by susanmcdonald View Post
    I have not finished my quilt yet but I wanted to share my replacements for the four iconic buildings since I won’t be a member after January 1st.
    I chose 4 lighthouses. Newport, RI, Nobska, Cape Cod,
    Key West Lighthouse, and Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia. I am from RI, I live on Cape Cod, I frequently visit Key west, and have family from Nova Scotia. I hope you like them.
    I have also used machine felting for tree tops, and will use colored pencils to shadow lighthouses since they are so white! Thank you. This has been a great year doing this project. Thank you Barbara for all your help and advice.
    Susan, Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt. Love the way you personalized it. Can't believe you are not going to the Garden
    Party Down Under. I have been a member since 2010 and have never found a subscription where you get so much, learn so
    much and have so many supportive TQS members to share and get help from. Why not join the fun next year. You sure
    did a fabulous job on this years quilt. I am sure next years BOM will be just as much fun. HelenW

Comment

• susanmcdonald commented
      Editing a comment
      Helen, it’s sold out! I’m not very good at appliqué, which was my initial hesitation.
      I really enjoyed 2021 BOM. It was the first time I participated in a BOM and will definitely do it again. Perhaps if 2022 becomes available again, I will rejoin.

Originally posted by Barbara Black View Post
    Beautiful, Carol. When I click on it I can enlarge the photo. Love your trees.
    Thank you, I have little dogs and cats in some of the windows that are hard to see here. Also next to the Space needle the tall building contains, USA and AUS with a kangaroo, a sheep, a bison and a bear to represent Wendy and me.

Comment

I started quilting/sewing a year ago and was up tp the challenge. I really enjoyed learning and in the end being able to personalize. The houses in the outer ring represent our Sanibel home, our Cincinnati home and our daughter's homes in Seattle and Cleveland. It was obvious to me that I then needed skyscrapers that mean something to us so the Sanibel Lighthouse, the Seattle Space Needle, a red wood tree and Statue of Liberty representing our daughter's family who travels from Sea to Shining Sea. Thanks to Barbara and other's questions and especially my neighbor who is a quilter and always had the best advice. Now to find someone to quilt it.
      Ann

Comment

• michele commented
        Editing a comment
        Ann.. this is beautifu! I am behind and just starting the "skyscrapers". Do you have the finished background sizes for the corners? I would like to applique my "hometown" icons and don't know how to figure the finished size of these corners. Any help would be appreciated as I noticed you reconfigured yours beautifully! Thx in advance..

Color My World almost finished. Was a fun challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by RMLDI View Post
        Color My World almost finished. Was a fun challenge.
        Rob, Great job on your quilt. Especially like the simple radiating quilt lines and the narrow border. Are you planning to go
        to the Garden Party Down Under? HelenW

Comment

I did it, I was hoping to finish by the end of the year (except for quilting it, may take me all of 2022). This was a huge task and a big challenge to keep it going. Not perfect but the top is done. Like others have said, needs a good pressing and what home doesn’t have a few wrinkles. Thank you Barbara for your great instructions and tips and also the Quilt Show for giving us the shows and This BOM. This was my first one. Still wondering how many pieces this quilt has, maybe my project will be to figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by DebbiePryor View Post
            I did it, I was hoping to finish by the end of the year (except for quilting it, may take me all of 2022). This was a huge task and a big challenge to keep it going. Not perfect but the top is done. Like others have said, needs a good pressing and what home doesn’t have a few wrinkles. Thank you Barbara for your great instructions and tips and also the Quilt Show for giving us the shows and This BOM. This was my first one. Still wondering how many pieces this quilt has, maybe my project will be to figure it out.
            Great challenge. Debbie--let us know what total number of pieces you come up with. Anyone who disagrees can provide their spreadsheet! Congratulations on finishing.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL
            https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
            "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• Debbie P. commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, my personal tally on this quilt for pieces, I've come up with 1,882 pieces which excludes the black bias tape and my borders. I decided since people did different things with the bias tape I decided not to include those but with those, we are close to 2,000 pieces. Like my quilt, it may not be a perfect number but it's close and now done.

Finished my top - it certainly has been a learning experience. Now to the quilting.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful--the blue background is lovely.

Finished the binding of my BOM 2021 today, couldn't get it ready yesterday

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              Great skyscrapers. Congratulations on being finished.

I have enjoyed seeing all of the wonderful quilts. I am not an advanced quilter but wanted to give it a try. So I made the first round of houses and appliquéd the road and trees. I love how it turned out, maybe in the future I will try to make the whole quilt. It was a great stash buster.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              Melinda, what a great way to give it a go! Your scalloped edge is the perfect treatment, nicely done.

• Melinda B. commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I really enjoyed working on this. You are a very good teacher. You gave very clear and precise instructions. I am looking forward to this years BOM.

Comment

I loved making this quilt. Have admired Wendy Williams quilts since seeing her and her quilts at our guild AGM.
              Thanks so much Barbara for your very helpful video each month. It was great to get your guidance.
              Last edited by Wendy H.; 01-24-2022, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6869.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	0 ID:	890858 I still need to add the borders. I attempted to make the Golden Gate Bridge and a redwood tree. The bridge is very amateurish, but my new year's resolution is to embrace imperfection so I am using it. Alex's embroidery lesson was very timely! Thank you, Barbara, for the amazing teaching and your infinite patience. Thank you everyone for the inspiration of your photos and progress. You kept me going on my first block of the month quilt. Wishing you all the best in 2022. Karen
                Oops, I need to resize the photo. Will try again. I cannot get it to show up even after reading Barbara's blog. Oh well.
                Last edited by Karen; 01-07-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1032 users online. 326 members and 706 guests.

Most users ever online was 7,765 at 03:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,970   Posts: 150,540   Members: 21207   Active Members: 1,945  
                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Month 3 — ASK QUESTIONS HERE
                  I don't know if this is too late to help anyone. It is August and I am just working on Month 3 (also 4, & 5 at the...
                • MONTH 8 -- Share Your Progress Here
                  Month 8
                • Collage with Cori Dantani fabric
                  I am looking for the show where an artist was using a Cori Dantini fabric in a collage technique. Thanks!
                  Loved the vase this month. Can't believe we can see then end!
                  Pamela, Love the bag hanging on the door knob too. Great color palette. Like Barbara says lovely and soothing. HelenW
                • Help
                  1807 Katie Fowler
                • Color my world — your finish here
                  It’s most likely a seam allowance problem. There are many and they have to be accurate. You may also find it helpful to...
                • Month 3 — SHOW YOUR PROGRESS
                  This is my block 3 replacing pieced 4 patch. For keeping her style here, I incorporated Irene's other designs. And this...
                • Help
                  I watched a show where the quilter cut up finished quilts would anyone have any knowledge of who...
                • Color my world — your finish here
                  Color my world fit problem. The last section of tall buildings is about 2” bigger than the inner section. How do I fix...
                  Pamela, this is such a beautiful quilt. I love so much about it. Just lovely, soothing, really speaks to me. Great job!
                  I saw Barbara’s bom under My Sample, I am so inspired by the jewel tones. I especially like Barbara’s July & August...
                  Your vase fabric is great with the jug's shape - gives it a real feeling of "round-ness" -- and the leaf colors...
                • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X