Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Choosing colors for the mariner's compass
    I've just gotten started on this project and have finished the first set of small buildings from stash, primarily Alison...
  • small building 2
    The background on small building 2 is going the opposite direction from small building 1. Did I do something incorrectly...
  • Foot is sticking to freezer paper
    I am using the #10C foot (Bernina) and it has started sticking to the freezer paper and causing my fabric to pucker. Are...
  • Tall buildings--show your progress here
    Please use THIS TOPIC to show off your Tall Buildings as you get them made

There is another Topic for ASKING...
  • MONTH 6--TALL BUILDING #1--Ask Questions Here
    A day early--get your Tall Buildings #1 pattern! Be sure to watch the VIDEO as well as reading the directions.
  • Photos Fixed, Fingers Crossed
    The web folks have been working to fix the photos. Let’s see if you can see all 3 of these photos, as large as you like....
  • Color My World Block 1, LATE!
    Late to the party and new to the site! I saw someone's CMW post on FB, and it inspired me to join TQS to begin this project....
  • Inset circles: The upper road and the center circle.
    I feel the frustration a few of the TQS quilters are having with the roads. I googled tips for inserting circles and found...
  • Round 5
    I finished and assembled round 5 today. Here it is. I will have to quilt heavily to make it flat. My road line makers were...
  • Out of Round
    This may have been asked before, but my small houses do not lie flat. How do I figure out if the problem is the top of...
  • Sharing our ideas...
    It is always so fun so see all the different ways that quilters go about making the quilts personal to them.
    I was...
  • Washed fabric out of alignment.
    When I washed my fabric, some of the smaller pieces were out of "alignment" by about 3 inches to the right and...
  • Trimming solid pieces for roadway
    I understand that you use the road template to trim up the pieced,black and white unit but what about the solid one? Do...
  • Bom 2021 1-5
    Greetings from Switzerland
  • My Small House Ring is 3d :(
    I sewed all the small houses together with what I thought were very accurate seam allowances! My ring is more like a squished...
  • Very confusing as to where to Post each mth
    Hi Barb, I posted my completed Mth 1-5 under what was titled "Official Month 5" Now that doesn't exist anymore....
  • My alternative way to attach the roads
    I am piecing the each piece of road to 2 houses, then sewing them together to get 4 houses. So they are pie shaped. The...
  • BOM wrinkled fabric
    Washed my fabric and it is now a wrinkled mess. I have tried using steam, wetting and Easy Press. Wrinkles are so bad it...
  • No more items.

Our Sponsors

The ROADS—Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barbara Black View Post
    If the 1" scale box is correct, don't worry about it. I just checked my paper arcs and they are the same as you describe, about 1/8" or so different from the center out, My roads fit fine.
    Thank you, Barbara, for your fast response. I tried to give your answer a "like" or a "thumbs up," but, I kept getting an error message instead.

Comment

I found all of Barbara’s tips to be extremely helpful. I was just sure my outside road and houses would not fit, but taking my time and pinning and pinning worked!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Feels great, doesn’t it?

I’m ready to add the upper road to the treetops of the small houses circle. What has everyone been doing about the two layers of fabric? Do you trim the background fabric back some just leaving the treetops to connect to the upper road? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pilkcindy View Post
        I’m ready to add the upper road to the treetops of the small houses circle. What has everyone been doing about the two layers of fabric? Do you trim the background fabric back some just leaving the treetops to connect to the upper road? Thanks!
        You can do either. If your trees are very light and background darker, you might want to remove the underneath background. I left the background intact.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL
        https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
        "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

my outerroad is way to big ,,,,, what do i do?

Comment

I’ve made the strip for the road pieces with white center with grate care. Checked the pattern again ... stitched with scant 1/4” seams. But the night is not compatible with the 3”x3” for the dark pieces. I can eyeball the center placing for cutting but it’s barely enough to make it on the paperpiecing bows.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtel View Post
              my outerroad is way to big ,,,,, what do i do?
              Kelly, Double check every step you did when making the road. Size of templates, number of pieces you made, etc. If you don't find
              a problem there, lay your outside road in a circle and measure the diameter. I think it is supposed to be 43.5 inches for the diameter. If you could take a photo of your center section and the out side road, it would be easier to trouble shoot it. HelenW

Comment

How much black fabric do the roads require?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  About one yard. The fabric requirements are in the Introduction to the Pattern

Originally posted by merlzand View Post
                I’ve made the strip for the road pieces with white center with grate care. Checked the pattern again ... stitched with scant 1/4” seams. But the night is not compatible with the 3”x3” for the dark pieces. I can eyeball the center placing for cutting but it’s barely enough to make it on the paperpiecing bows.
                Black was to be cut 1.75” + white cut .875”. Sewn together the road strip should be 3 3/8”. I can’t tell from the photo but yours looks smaller than that. Double check that you cut strips accurately and then sewed with 1/4” seam
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

Can you tell me the diameter of the compass and the inner and outer measurements/diameters of the house circle? I know they didn't line up perfectly at the bottom and I want to make sure I know where I'm pinning or where to trim before pinning. Thanks

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tara, In a post earlier Barbara Black said the compass is 14.5 diameter. Inner road attached is 18.5 across. And the blank hole in the small houses 17.5. The Center of the quilt including both roads is 43.5. HelenW

This quilt is beating me up! I had a most flat circle until I attached the upper road. I had to do lots of easing. Have some tucks which I hate. Pressed it toward road.
                  what am I going to do with this mess? I am about to give up on this whole thing, help me if you can

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sewskeel, The Upper road is going to have to come off. Take your time and try not to stretch the seams too much as you rip.
                    Do the measuring as Barbara suggested. Let us know if you found the error in size. Double check your paper pattern. Make sure
                    it printed at the right size. Once you get it off measure the outside circumference at the top of the trees. Measure the inside
                    circumference of the upper road and see if they are close to same. If not, and I would guess you will find that they are not, then
                    you need to try again, or make up a work around that makes it flat. The diameter of the center to the trees is supposed to
                    be 43.5 inches. You might check that too. Don't give up. This should be fun. You are learning a lot about making circular quilts.
                    No quilter has had success all the time. Need to try try again. HelenW

Originally posted by sewskeel View Post
                  This quilt is beating me up! I had a most flat circle until I attached the upper road. I had to do lots of easing. Have some tucks which I hate. Pressed it toward road.
                  what am I going to do with this mess? I am about to give up on this whole thing, help me if you can
                  Stop. Breathe. There are MANY seams on these Roads. The first thing I recommend you do is check a lot of the seams in the Upper Road. The black wedge between the Black/White wedge measures just over 1 1/4" where the white line meets the black wedge. Not all the way to 1 3/8" but a tad larger than 1 1/4". Measure your Upper Road Arc pattern to see what I'm talking about. The white lines are closer to 1 3/8". If your seams are farther apart than those numbers, your Upper Road circle is somewhat larger than the upper edge of the Small Houses. Being off, say 2 threads, both top and bottom means your are off 4 threads and when you multiple that by the number of seams it can really add up. The Arcs should have been fine since you used paper patterns and trimmed to the exact size. But there are 16 Arcs that are sewn to each other and being off a little on each one means the Upper Road won't fit--it's probably too large.

If you determine that is the problem, spend some time taking off the Upper Road, fix those seams and try again. You have a lot invested to this point, time and fabric, and it can and will all fit together when you get the seams correct. I promise the rest of the quilt is easier after this part.
                  Barbara Black
                  Huntsville AL

Comment

• sewskeel commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes my measurements on paper piece are as you said. I have ripped off upper road and pressed out the tucks. Now I feel like I have no arcs, what now ? Do I rip each section apart and press them to fit paper piece again? Do I go buy more fabric and start again? I feel like complete failure and very discouraged

Originally posted by sewskeel View Post
                  Sewskeel, Smile at this cute little mug rug I made as you rip it, rip it, rip it. HelenW
                  Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	884786

Comment

Should each upper road arc match the top of the small house wedge?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1028 users online. 248 members and 780 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,336 at 05:30 PM on 06-14-2021.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,734   Posts: 145,684   Members: 17339   Active Members: 2,409  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Spinning Spools--ASK QUESTIONS HERE
                        LLT, I have done preassembled flowers the way you are describing many times and it works great. I lay a piece of tear away...
                        Leeanna, Sounds like a good plan to me. If you like the look of the overlap of leaves and flowers onto the quilt top, you...
                        Julie, I think that would make for a darling wall hanging for your sewing area. Instead of the vines, maybe you could do...
                        I am thinking about using sewing notions for the applique shapes on the Spinning Spools quilt rather than flowers-I am a...
                        I am thinking of machine appliqué the vines down first then adding the flowers and leaves and applique them down next....
                      • Spinning Spools--SHOW YOUR WORK HERE
                        I finally got all my flowers, leaves, and dots done! I had never done finished edge applique, and decided this was the time!!...
                      • Introductions
                        I’m going to jump off the cliff and test the “Blog” feature of the Forum. I have been a member of The Quilt Show from...
                      • Sandy's Quilting Journal
                        Sandy’s Quilting Journal is about how I started quilting, what I’m working on now and what I want to accomplish in the future.
                        Can the flowers be "preassembled" prior to placing them on to the vine? Maybe by stitching the Little Petal to...
                        Geez. I don't know what I was counting when I posted this tally, but if the doubling of the petals big+ a little is done...
                        SueGee, Your got it right. It looks great with just the multicolored narrow border and an outside border that is not wide...
                        So after many starts and rejects, I finally decided on a border. Applique just did not look right with the neck ties. ...
                        Now I want to take my border off and put on an inner border! Where did I put my seam ripper?...
                      • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                      X