Our Sponsors

Ring of small houses—show yours here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring of small houses—show yours here

Use this Topic to show your completed ring of small houses. I am eager to see them.

BARBARA BLACK
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

I'm not sure I'm posting this to the right place on the forum. Please forgive me if it's not! I have a question about sewing the pairs of houses together. I am relatively new to patchwork and the BOM is going well so far - I think because of the freezer paper to help with accuracy. I'm nervous about sewing the houses together accurately without the foundation paper. Would it help to spray them with starch before sewing? I have not used any starch on my fabrics (or ever before for that matter) - not for cutting or piecing. Would it mess things up to starch now? I have practiced sewing an accurate 1/4" seam and used tape to mark 1/4" on my machine. Just wondering if that's enough. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Comment

• Patricia B. commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn’t starch now as you run the risk of the houses shrinking when the starch dampens the materials. They will sew together fine as they are, just use a 1/4” seam and like Barbara said in her video start from the bottom as the top will be evened up by the trees.

• leahg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Patricia!

Comment

• Anita W. commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel like an ARCHITECT.
      I broke my leg in December and could not bear weight on it for 3.5 months. So I worked on my small houses and compass during March. If was SO MUCH FUN!!!

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your background fabric.

BARBARA BLACK

• Quilting2021 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice colors and I like the background as well.
    This topic by Primera has been deleted by Primera

I just finished the Ring and i am so glad that it is flat.... so much fun with
    this lovely BOM. Greetings from germany

Just finished the ring and i am so glad that ist is flat. So much fun with this lovely BOM. Greetings from germany

Comment

• Lynn K. commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Primera. Could you please tell me what is the diameter of your center ring... the open space where you have placed the Mariners compass? Yours is lovely. Mine came out a little “wonky” so I am adjusting it and looking for a measurement to shoot for..

• Primera commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Lynn....the Center messures 18 inch

• RiaDE commented
      Editing a comment
      sieht wirklich super aus -prima gemacht !

Originally posted by leahg View Post
    I'm not sure I'm posting this to the right place on the forum. Please forgive me if it's not! I have a question about sewing the pairs of houses together. I am relatively new to patchwork and the BOM is going well so far - I think because of the freezer paper to help with accuracy. I'm nervous about sewing the houses together accurately without the foundation paper. Would it help to spray them with starch before sewing? I have not used any starch on my fabrics (or ever before for that matter) - not for cutting or piecing. Would it mess things up to starch now? I have practiced sewing an accurate 1/4" seam and used tape to mark 1/4" on my machine. Just wondering if that's enough. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
    Generally, use starch on fabrics before cutting out pieces. You could try it on one seam to see if it helps.it sounds like you are set for accurate 1/4” sewing already. Be sure to sew accurately all the way down the seam. I discussed this in the LIVE broadcast yesterday. That video is available under LEARN.

BARBARA BLACK

Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL

Comment

• leahg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Barbara!

Greetings from Australia. What you can get done on a windy wet Easter when avoiding the holiday crowds. I put a little variety in my trees.

Comment

• Bonnie E. commented
      Editing a comment
      That's so great, I hope mine will be a flat circle like yours. I like the variety of greens in your treetops.

Here is my ring of houses. I have no design wall, so it looks a little bit wonky.

Comment

This topic by Maworchid has been deleted by Maworchid
      Picture not coming up

Here are my small houses and trees. Sew much fun ! Click image for larger version

Name:	E9FECE42-BB37-4DFC-828F-FE8CE541979D.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	808.5 KB
ID:	883748

Great way to spend Easter, in my sewing room. I have put all my houses together. The outside sits nice and flat but the inside is a little big. Will I be able to ease it in when the road is attached?

Comment

Originally posted by mazza1625 View Post
        Great way to spend Easter, in my sewing room. I have put all my houses together. The outside sits nice and flat but the inside is a little big. Will I be able to ease it in when the road is attached?
        Probably. Check the seam allowances along the inside to see if you can find those that are a bit narrow and tighten those up.

BARBARA BLACK
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

Finished with treetops! Thank goodness it’s flat enough. Thank you, Barbara, for the great instructions! Onward.....
          Jackie

Comment

• Robin H. commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the Tula Pink Lemur Me Alone for your background. How did you stitch down your trees? By hand or machine? What thread did you use to sew the trees down? Looks stunning!

• Kathleen H. commented
            Editing a comment
            Love your compass!!!

• jptousley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your kind comments. Except for one, the treetops were hand appliqued . The trunks were done by machine. Thread was some old that I had....unfortunately, I don’t know name, number, or brand.

Here are my houses.

Comment

• jstack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for showing your ring of houses. I love the way you have graduated the colours for the background.

All the houses look wonderful. I am wondering, did you press seams open on all the seams when putting the houses together in pairs and then into the circle?

Comment

• Cindy P. commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I pressed all the seams open between the houses.

Primera. Thank you so much ! I hope mine end up looking as good as yours Everyone is doing such a great job. Lots of creativity.

Comment

• What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 102 users online. 30 members and 72 guests.

Most users ever online was 778 at 06:40 AM on 04-16-2021.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,681   Posts: 145,106   Members: 16757   Active Members: 6,446  
            Welcome to our newest member, james justice-travelerjj.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
            X