Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Customizing the Center Block

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customizing the Center Block

I'm fairly certain that I picked up some Dutch style fq's also at the Quilt Museum that would work well. After that perhaps fabrics by French General? If you get a floral fabric that has a cream background that tones with your background square that would work pretty well.

Taree NSW - Australia
    My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Ever since I saw this year's TQS Rajah Quilt I have been pondering ideas for customizing the center block. Not that there aren't challenges -- the center is an unusual size, the finished size of the center is 13 1/2 inches (14 inches unfinished). Here are some of my ideas:

Rajah Quilt theme
    1) The RAJAH was a barque - a sailing ship with 3 masts. Fortunately, Sue Garman has a Baltimore-style block with a barque in her Ladies of the Sea Quilt (Block 2 - The Alyssa -- single blocks are available for purchase) that would require customizing for size and theme and is available here:
    http://www.comequilt.com/.../Ladies-of-the-Sea/.../Ladies-of-the-Sea--Complete-Pattern-Set-x1942553.htm
    2) Ink, print or embroider the original label.
    http://nga.gov.au/rajahquilt
    3) A pieced block -- signifying a journey e.g. mariner's compass
    4) Broderie Perse applique with a modern print. My favorite book on Broderie Perse applique is Love to Quilt...Broderie Perse: The Elegant Quilt Paperback – March, 1997 by Barbara Barber (unfortunately $50 on Amazon but it may be available from your guild or local library)

TQS theme (consider revisiting a favorite TQS BOM)
    1) The original TQS BOM Bouquets for a New Day by Sue Garman featured the TQS star in the background
    www.comequilt.com/.../Bouquets-for-a-New-Day/.../Bouquets-for-a-New-Day-Complete-Pattern-Set-x1896146.htm
    2) The T, Q, S blocks from Janet Stone's 2014 BOM (if you have them, I do not know if they are available for purchase) could be arranged as a center block.

On Monday's show (Ep 1801), the write-up indicates Lessa will have ideas for customizing the center block.

Block 1 is available for download now with an extra page on the history surrounding the quilt (it looks like that will be a feature every month).

Comment

Or you could use this period reproduction from the Quilt Museum shop in UK http://www.quiltmuseumshop.org.uk/pr...z_Fabric_Panel it measures 13" so it would probably need a narrow border put around it to bring it to size

Actually this is a great idea as I already have one in my stash waiting for the right project to come along B)

Comment

I have downloaded the first month info. I want to make the original block design and was wondering if there will be any further info, e.g break out of design pieces, number to cut, etc?
        GQL

Comment

Since I first saw this BOM, I've also wondered if I would customize the center block. No, I'm not sure, but I do have a fairly big feathered star that might fit. I'll have to check on the size.
          GQL

Comment

I would also like to know the finished size of the center block as I would customize it as well.
            Is anyone sure of the size?

Comment

[hide]Great suggestions for the centre block. I would like to find a piece of chintz (as Rosemary suggested) that could be used for the centre block. Not sure where I will find it but now I have a reason to go to quilt shops .[/hide]
              Deborah W

Comment

Great ideas! I like that a little history is included with the instructions. It looks like the center block is 13 1/2 by 13 1/2. That is on Block 1's instructions. Interesting that the original was broderie perse. I wonder where else we can find the period chintz. I need to go search the internet.

I also like how she references back to techniques learned in earlier BOMs. She mentions a technique that Sue Nickels did. Kathy Stone also used to mention all the time that she learned such and such from SHow # xxx or something Ricky demo'd. Cool!

Comment

From Episode 1801, Lessa Siegele had more ideas for customizing the quilt.

The discussion with Lessa and Alex on customizing the center block starts at minute 12:30.

1) Custom/commercial applique design: there is a beautiful block by one of Lessa’s students done in batiks
                  2) Embroidery – use either an embroidery block or heirloom embroidered piece
                  3) Use one piece of fabric: there is a picture of a modern fabric used. Rosemary in post # 134960 suggested a reproduction block, circa 1820-1840. http://www.quiltmuseumshop.org.uk/product/1116/Vintage_Chintz_Fabric_Panel
                  4) Combine applique elements from the pattern with broderie perse applique: in the example, a pansy fabric was used
                  5) Personalize the quilt. Alex’s idea was to honor her grandpa’s cherry orchard
                  6) Orphan block: a pieced or applique block from a class you haven't used
                  7) Machine embroidered applique block. I am especially fond of Smith Street Designs.
                  http://smithstreetdesigns.com

I look forward to seeing what everyone decides to do.

Comment

Yes, I saw that segment. I was wondering if we were going to be given a split out appliqué pattern.
                    GQL

Comment

My guess is no -- there won't be a split out of the applique pattern beyond what we've been given. You might want to ask that question in the comments with the pattern to see if there will be more information forthcoming.

Comment

I thought to add some more info on customizing the center block. If your design, doesn't fit the dimensions of the center of the Rajah quilt you can add floaters to get to the right size. The finished size of the center block of the Rajah Quilt Revisited is 13 1/2" by 13 1/2".

Of course, TQS has some great information on how to do floaters. My first recommendation is to watch Sue Garman's lessons on floaters from 2009.
                        June has the basics of floaters. July at minute 4:45 has more design considerations for floaters. "All 12 videos are here in one place. Click on the Playlist indicator on the top left of the screen to select the video you want to watch." The playlist indicator is just to left of the 1/12 at the top of video screen. If you don't see that header, wiggle your mouse and it will come up.

https://thequiltshow.com/component/allvideoshare/video/bom-2009-sue-garman-sue-garman-tips-for-bom-2009

Episode 1801 with Lessa has tips for adding a narrow strip around a block. This discussion with Ricky starts at minute 28:00.

https://thequiltshow.com/component/allvideoshare/video/show-1801-piecing-perfection-from-the-bom-designer

Comment

Good idea with Sue Garman block, who does not love that lady and her work, would have to be my all time favourite, now one does patterns like Sue I say.

Taree NSW - Australia
                          My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

So I've been whipping right along on month 2, I've already finished my 36 diamond in a square units, I thought I would give a progress report on month 1.

I decided to use Sue Garman's block the Elyssa from Ladies of the Sea. The original block was surrounded by Texas bluebonnets which was not in keeping with The Rajah. It took me a while to figure out what to put instead but I settled on the Scottish Thistle since the ship's captain was Scottish and the quilt was rediscovered in Scotland in 1987. I couldn't find a pattern, so I drew it (a first for me).

Along the way, I've discovered I must not like purple. I went stash shopping and could only come up a few purple fabrics and no 2 worked together and worked with my other fabric choices for the quilt. So it was off to the local quilt shop (local being relative since it is over an hour from my house), after shopping for over an hour I finally settled on 2 fabrics but I knew I wasn't happy with my choices. After much futzing, I did manage to settle on a fabric combination I liked. :woohoo:

Then I had to figure out templates, make bias binding, and am currently glue turning the edges (30 pieces down, 40+ to go). After than there's hand applique, embroidery and inking. Since applique is on the agenda for next month I am really going to try to get this done this month.

Comment

Wow. This is going to be a fabulous medallion! I have a packet of 5" squares of 19th c repros in every shade of purple. No idea where or why I acquired it. By now you will have found that perfect purple, but it made me wish I could drop it off at a guild meeting or bee! Thanks for sharing your discoveries about the history of the Rajah as well.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2306 users online. 156 members and 2150 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X