Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Virtual Retreat July 2015 - Join Anytime

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luann, those are *gorgeous!!*

I think dyeing is going to be in my future, soon. Must learn about it quite a bit first and then......oh boy. What fun!

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Originally posted by "Learning-As-I-Go" post=131584
      Luann, those are *gorgeous!!*

I think dyeing is going to be in my future, soon. Must learn about it quite a bit first and then......oh boy. What fun!
      Heather,
      There are lots of online classes about it. Paula Burch website has volumes of info.
      If you want to be able to duplicate what you've done, I would highly recommend Candy Glendenning's class. Not cheap, but lifetime access and extremely thorough. Lots of videos and PDFs if you want to have things in writing.
      If you are into serendipity, which is where I started, lots of books available at the local library. If you are interested I will get you a copy of the article that first inspired me to try it out. It's from Fall 1995 American Quilter. Anyone else interested just let me know. You will just have to ignore my notes, as they don't make a lot of sense to anyone but me!!LOL

Serendipity methods measure the dye powder by teaspoon or tablespoon. Duplicating method, Candy Glendenning, use a scale and it is done by weight. The results can be very different! Yet very interesting.

May God bless each of you with a day with a pleasant surprise,
      Luann

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

LuAnn your fabrics and laces are wonderful. I want some!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with them.

geneva
        Geneva

Comment

Originally posted by "genevacarroll" post=131588
          I want some!

geneva
          Geneva,
          Coming soon to an Etsy shop, unless they all get sold before I can list them!! LOL

Luann
          Geneva

Comment

Lois, how wonderful your hearts and stars baby quilt and what a great reason to include hearts and stars into your quilts--hope you don't mind if I adopt your idea. Such a lovely quilt! And your bags and picnic baskets… such eye candy, I really, really love what you did with them!

Simplicity, these days, talks to me in a big way. Carrie, I love how such a simple concept as carrying your border fabric through the blocks in a diagonal line adds so much to a nine-patch baby quilt. Thank you!

Same with yours, Marianne… pulling in some solids to create a pattern in an otherwise lively fabric really draws the eye into the design of each block. I love the pumpkin seed quilting on the sewing machine cover. So perfect!

Love your fish, Wendy, would love to see you make frogs too! Lotti, welcome back to the Forum and I totally enjoy seeing your beautiful photos again as well as all of the fun quilts you have made!

Rita, great colors in your wedding block--really look forward to seeing how it all comes together!

Stunning wedding quilt, Jdeluka! The colors are out-of-this world beautiful!

Rosemary, the purples and blues in your quilt that act as a border of sorts really pulls together beautifully all the scrappy colors and brings the eye back to the center to enjoy the Asian fabrics. I think you did the right thing to cut them up and make a quilt--you can tell your hubby that for me! Your Maxiature quilt is a real masterpiece! So glad it is going to FoQ!

Geneva, your bargello piece, what a treat and I am in love with the border design… reminds me of stylized lanterns for August Moon Festival.

Heather, you've been busy with fun stuff! Spoon and fork table runner (would have never thought of doing that but love it!!!!) and placemats. You have such a way with color, makes me smile to see your work. It happens every time you post!

Luann, thanks for starting up this section of the Forum--it has been fun going through all the entries and seeing all the photos, including your notebook cover, which is lovely! Your hand dyed fabrics are to die for, so gorgeous! If I lived closer, I'd be begging you for a weekend to help me overcome my fear of dyeing!

I've been absent for a while, but have totally enjoyed catching up by seeing the photos of your work that I've missed in this thread. Hope I did not miss anyone but will now go back through and read the entries (I've skimmed over all of them, all 16 pages) and will enjoy this thread some more!

Comment

Renata,
              I will try to start a new thread each month. With 16 pages and we are only half way thru July, it's a lot to catch up on. And the previous months will always be out there to view.
              I've sent you a pm as to location of my "exploration lab"! Maybe there's a vacation in your future??
              May God bless everyone with a weekend filled with loving people,
              Luann
              www.letscreatetoday.blogspot
              Yep, I'm back on my blog. My plan for the upcoming week is to explain how I dye using canning jars. Pictures are up of the black texture piece that I just finished.

Comment

I'm having a break from FMQing my 2014 TQS BOM, for a few days but I'm still coming to the virtual retreat. Does anyone have any advice/remedies for a stiff neck and painful shoulder muscle spasms? hmy: I went a bit over the top with the quilting when I came back from my holiday.
                Best Wishes Pam

Comment

Rosemary--this is just glorious! I can't imagine quilting anything but in the ditch. If you are doing ESS I can't see how any other quilting will show on this scale. Can't wait to see your progress.

Comment

Annie--I like the trims you dyed with your fabrics! Good idea.

Comment

One more post--I should have saved them all for one but knew I would forget what I wanted to say.
                      Had sinus surgery this week and I am miserable. Praying this will take care of the problem and I will heal quickly.
                      Date has been set for the twins' birthday--August 13th. Finished both of the quilts for them.
                      Still trying to finish the graduation one that has been giving me fits. I have to say--it has been voted the quilt that I most hate. I really want to have it done before Zeke/Ezra birthday. My dogs will be very unhappy as they will have to be kenneled for a week.
                      Enough stalling, I have finally caught up with this thread. I need to do more stitching on Coy's quilt.

Comment

Originally posted by "lotti" post=131576
                        Kathy, your toddler quilt project doesn't look simple at atll - not at all - but i love it
                        I love the look of curved piecing, but I'm not a fan of doing that piecing. I made an apple core baby quilt and there were curse words flying about. That's why I love this pattern - there is a trick to it which is best explained in photos. You will see that it is very simple. I bought the pattern book and templates from Quilters Haven at a quilt show ( ).
                        Cut squares an inch larger than the circumference of the circle size you are working with. Place fabrics right sides together. Draw your circle on one of the fabrics and stitch on that line. I reduce my stitch length for this, particularly if you are doing a smaller circle it helps to make an even curve. You can cut a slit in the top of one of the fabrics before you sew or after - just be sure you only cut one layer.

I bought a handy template that allows me to cut the circle out with a rotary cutter - no you don't need it, but it sure makes the cutting faster and neater. It only cost about $5.www.quiltershaven.net

Turn the circle right sides out through the slit. Be sure to use a turning tool (I use a bone folder) to run along the entire inside of the seam to get a crisp even circle, then press. You'll want to be sure that the front fabric does not show on the back of the circle so that when you fold a flap forward it won't show. Mark a square in the circle (these are your seam lines for joining the circles). If you don't have a template, simply fold the circle in half and half again and put a mark at the fold lines on the edge, then draw lines to connect the four points.

Join two circles, matching up the straight lines and sew along that line. Then open out the circles.

Fold the flaps open:

Continue joining circles together. This is one arrangement (not sewn yet, just folded to play with the look of it):

I prefer this arrangement, alternating the fabrics that show in the circle:

The size of the circle I'm using is about a 12 inch diameter. I have templates for smaller circles, too. You could make circles any size you want, maybe use a dinner plate to draw a large one, or a bowl to make a smaller circle. The slit to turn the circle is hidden under a flap. When you have joined all your circles together, stitch down the flaps along the curves - this also serves as quilting. If you are doing large circles, add more quilting in the middle of the circles. No need to add binding - it's already finished on the edge. You can leave the outer edges unfolded to give a scalloped border, or turn those edges in and sew down the flap to have a straight border.

There is a gallery at Quilters Haven to show various looks you can get: http://www.quiltershaven.net/Articles.asp?ID=251

Comment

I'd really like a copy of the article Luann...I'm just starting to dye and am loving it :-) :-)

Comment

I'm not adding batting to this quilt/blanket as the two layers of flannel is a nice weight. Here is a photo of how you add the batting

Lightly baste the batting square to one of the fabrics before you turn the circle right side out. This is fun to make, so the next one I will use regular cotton fabric and add batting.

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by "dorothy.j.wolf" post=131608
                              I'd really like a copy of the article Luann...I'm just starting to dye and am loving it :-) :-)
                              Dorothy,
                              I can't get to your profile to connect with you. Perhaps you can send me your personal email through my profile page. Try that ok?
                              Luann

Comment

Pam, use a cold wrap for your neck while enjoying a glass of wine. When the glass of wine is gone, get more ice for the wrap and have another glass of wine. This entire procedure must be done in a quiet peaceful setting.

It's what the doctor would order and you save the copay to buy more fabric.

Happy weekend everyone!

Geneva
                                Geneva

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2182 users online. 281 members and 1901 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25589   Active Members: 1,301  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X