Collapse

Our Sponsors

Alex Anderson's Hand Embroidery 101 Class Roster...Please sign in

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Janet signing in from the Boston area where we are visiting our 2 daughters and their families for the holidays. We’re certainly enjoying our 4 grandsons. This has been the perfect project for me since it is so portable! After Christmas we’ll be heading back to our home in Oceanside, California, north of San Diego. I’ve enjoyed seeing everyone’s projects and getting ideas. Thanks for doing this Helen, it’s fun to read about where everyone is from.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgermain View Post
      Hi, Janet signing in from the Boston area where we are visiting our 2 daughters and their families for the holidays. We’re certainly enjoying our 4 grandsons. This has been the perfect project for me since it is so portable! After Christmas we’ll be heading back to our home in Oceanside, California, north of San Diego. I’ve enjoyed seeing everyone’s projects and getting ideas. Thanks for doing this Helen, it’s fun to read about where everyone is from.
      Janet, I was amazed at how beautiful your circles are. Looks like you are a fast learner or have been doing this for a while.
      Do you start on the outside and just keep doing smaller circles? The thread color placement really makes the stitches show.
      Have a fun time in Boston, 4 boys is a real handful. HelenW

Comment

This is Carol from southwest Michigan, where we currently have no snow on the ground. Very unusual! I have been a member of TQS for many years and enjoy the shows. I do not participate in any BOMs.Too large and complex. Started following Alex on Facebook and did make the red basket quilt. Now doing this embroidery class. I sometimes forget how much I love hand embroidery. Never worked on silk before and have always used a pattern, so free form is different! I have done quite a bit of redwork when we travel, because I don't have to worr about thread color changes LOL Been quilting since about 2004 I think.
        Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

Hi, I am Linda from Southeast Michigan. Today is cold but a little sun is peaking out. I was a member of TQS back when it first started, but rejoined in May this year. I am so glad I did. Love trying the new techniques from Alex & Ricky.

I am very nervous to start the Garden Party Down Under 2022 BOM, but so glad Barbara Black will be there to guide our way. Never did EPP before.

I was away from sewing & quilting for about 8 years and just got back into all of it this year. Really enjoying Alex giving us her time every week - I’m looking forward to learning more.

Comment

This reply by Donna2018 has been deleted by Donna2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	silk4.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	890134 Hi All,
            Donna here from the mountains of Colorado..... I've been LOVING hand embroidery, and especially using the silk fabric which up until now, I've been very afraid to try. Anyway, here's the status of my project. Thank you Alex for introducing it all to me.
            Donna Carter
            from Pine, Colorado
            High in the Rocky Mountains

Originally posted by CarrieG View Post
            This is Carol from southwest Michigan, where we currently have no snow on the ground. Very unusual! I have been a member of TQS for many years and enjoy the shows. I do not participate in any BOMs.Too large and complex. Started following Alex on Facebook and did make the red basket quilt. Now doing this embroidery class. I sometimes forget how much I love hand embroidery. Never worked on silk before and have always used a pattern, so free form is different! I have done quite a bit of redwork when we travel, because I don't have to worr about thread color changes LOL Been quilting since about 2004 I think.
            Carol G, Thanks for letting us know about you. We have had a very no snow Nov. and Dec. until 2 weeks ago in North Idaho.
            Seems like we are making up for lost time. So I sew in the morning and shovel snow in the afternoon. Life is good. You might
            reconsider the BOM projects. You could get your feet wet by just taking the month pattern and make a small project using it
            as a stand alone or several months combined. The first month of Garden Party Down Under is the center applique block.
            It would make a beautiful little wall hanging. You could use all the applique stitches you are learning to embellish the block
            or you could just trace the the outline of the blocks applique on a piece of fabric and use hand embroidery on the whole
            outline piece, much like you did redwork. Hope you will be participating and posting on the forum, the more the merrier.
            Your embroidery piece is looking great. Especially love the C initial. HelenW

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              Helen is exactly right about the 2022 BOM. Month 1 and 2 finish at 35” square, a great size for a small wall hanging and a great size to play with appliqué and/or embroidery. The shapes are easy and fun to sew, by hand or machine.

• Carol G. commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Helen and Barbara for the info on this year's BOM. I may give it a try. I remember Janet Stone's BOM and the letter F I attempted ended up backwards! LOL But I am a more experienced quilter now.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Hi, I am Linda from Southeast Michigan. Today is cold but a little sun is peaking out. I was a member of TQS back when it first started, but rejoined in May this year. I am so glad I did. Love trying the new techniques from Alex & Ricky.

I am very nervous to start the Garden Party Down Under 2022 BOM, but so glad Barbara Black will be there to guide our way. Never did EPP before.

I was away from sewing & quilting for about 8 years and just got back into all of it this year. Really enjoying Alex giving us her time every week - I’m looking forward to learning more.
            Hello Linda L from Southeast MIchigan. Welcome back. You have missed a lot of wonderful shows in your absence so when it is snowing in
            Michigan you can binge watch back episodes. Garden Party Down Under should be really, really fun. I have a bad habit, or should I say just
            a habit of wandering off in a totally different direction when I start a quilt. See what I mean with this years Color My World. I did it in flannel
            at 60 percent size, tried to get a country look, instead of the city look. Sure had fun. HelenW

Comment

• Paula S. commented
              Editing a comment
              Your quilt is wonderful. It is so fun to see people take an idea and run in another direction. I love the replacement of the skyscrapers with fir trees.

• Linda L. commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I love what you did with the Color My World BOM Quilt. I enjoy seeing everyone’s projects!

• Becky A. commented
              Editing a comment
              I love, love, love this quilt!!! What a beautiful interpretation of the original.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Thanks Barbara B & Helen W for the clarification! I just didn’t want to add to the wrong group.
            Thank you Linda for reading what I wrote. I totally was thinking embroidery when my fingers typed in applique. HelenW

Comment

Barbara I need your help! How do I post pictures on the forum? I've looked everywhere for the directions.. Thanks.
              Donna Carter
              from Pine, Colorado

I'm trying again to upload a picture. I click on upload attachment and it shows an icon of my pic = I click on Fullsize and look at the preview and nothing appears. Please let m know what I'm doing wrong.Click image for larger version

Name:	silk5.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	890160
              Donna Carter
              from Pine, Colorado

Originally posted by Donna2018 View Post
              I'm trying again to upload a picture. I click on upload attachment and it shows an icon of my pic = I click on Fullsize and look at the preview and nothing appears. Please let m know what I'm doing wrong.Click image for larger version  Name:	silk5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.12 MB ID:	890160
              Donna, The forum will only accept small pictures. I make mine 60 % the size of the camera picture that shows up on my computer.
              Are you using a phone or a computer to upload. I have an iMac. If you go to page 7 of Make it for own embroidery show your work, Barbara
              has a link to uploading pictures and I have a post on how I do it on an iMac. I talked Suzanne thru how I do it. It worked for her. HelenW
              Last edited by Helen W.; 12-22-2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Hello from both Illinois and Arizona. I live in Rantoul, IL most of the year and Amado, AZ for the winter. We have a 5th wheel trailer at an RV park south of Tucson and while there I sew in a shed. The pandemic made me reluctant to go to the small community sewing room and the shed turned out to be a perfect solution. I’ve watched all of Alex’s lives but this is the first one I’m actually making. I might have done some others but got involved in Ricky’s Kool Kaleidoscope which just needs binding.
                The timing of this was perfect as I needed a hand project for traveling back to IL for Christmas! I’m of the generation that used and made embroidered pillow cases and kitchen towels so some of the stitches are familiar but this is much more creative.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjturner48 View Post
                  Hello from both Illinois and Arizona. I live in Rantoul, IL most of the year and Amado, AZ for the winter. We have a 5th wheel trailer at an RV park south of Tucson and while there I sew in a shed. The pandemic made me reluctant to go to the small community sewing room and the shed turned out to be a perfect solution. I’ve watched all of Alex’s lives but this is the first one I’m actually making. I might have done some others but got involved in Ricky’s Kool Kaleidoscope which just needs binding.
                  The timing of this was perfect as I needed a hand project for traveling back to IL for Christmas! I’m of the generation that used and made embroidered pillow cases and kitchen towels so some of the stitches are familiar but this is much more creative.
                  Barbara T, Thanks for telling us a little about you. I too did Ricky's Kool Kaleidoscope but you are ahead of me. I still need to quilt mine. Be sure to post some progress shots of your embroideries. I loved your idea of the practice piece. I immediately made one
                  after you posted that picture. Have a safe drive back to Illinois. We have been having some ugly weather here in north Idaho.
                  HelenW

Comment

I have yet to start my embroidery. Dragged my feet on getting the kit, so I lost out. Decided later I really wanted to do this so I ordered the fabric from TQS and was able to get the thread directly from Wonderfil. Just rec'd my fabric, now I'm waiting on the thread. Can't wait do get started. Love Alex's classes; not always able to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by meper View Post
                      I have yet to start my embroidery. Dragged my feet on getting the kit, so I lost out. Decided later I really wanted to do this so I ordered the fabric from TQS and was able to get the thread directly from Wonderfil. Just rec'd my fabric, now I'm waiting on the thread. Can't wait do get started. Love Alex's classes; not always able to participate.
                      Suzanne F, Never too late to get started. Where are you stitching from. I am Idaho. HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 631 users online. 337 members and 294 guests.

Most users ever online was 7,765 at 03:22 PM on 04-08-2022.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,957   Posts: 150,361   Members: 20936   Active Members: 1,689  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

Working...
                      X