The deadline has been extended through International Quilting Weekend - Sunday March 20th!
While the gang is gathered around the TV watching March Madness, stitch up a "bearskin" for a child with a rare disease
AND be entered to win an iPad Mini!
How long does it take to make a "bearskin"? By the time the buzzer sounds and
the last bite of snacks have disappeared, you will have made a "bearskin" - or two!
A team of volunteers at RARE Science will stuff and finish the bears.
Did you know?:
- 20 million kids have rare disease
- 30% of them die before the age 5
- Rare diseases are responsible for 35% of deaths in the first year of life
Want to know more about the contest? Here are the rules.
There are a few steps, but we know you want to participate and not miss out on this chance to help out AND WIN.
Each bearskin should be made to specific guidelines using Simplicity pattern C5461 (just $5.96). It is the contribution of your own stash fabric that will make the bear unique. RARE bears given to kids include a special serial number tag and fabric feet.
- Visit the RARE Science website to receive the special numbered tag and feet fabric that will be sent to you via mail. Mention (in the message area) that you are participating in the RARE Bear Game Day Sew-In Contest.
- If you only need the serial tag and feet fabric, please specify.
- If you are having trouble locating the pattern and need that along with the serial tag and feet fabric, please specify.
2. Then gather all of your supplies and start sewing your 'bearskin.'
3. Once the 'bearskin' is completed, upload the photo of your handiwork on our RARE Bear Community area by Midnight on
Thursday, March 20, 2016 to be entered in the contest.
- You must be logged in first to enter your photo. All members are included: Free and Premium "Star".
- If you are not a Free Member, just click on "Join Free" in the brown menu bar at the top of the page.
- Once you are in the RARE Bear Community area, Click on the blue "Join Group" button to join the group.
- Click on the photo icon to upload your photo.
- Don't forget to write - "RARE Bear Contest Entry" and your name in the Status Box.
4. Don't have your serial tag and feet by the time the 8th rolls around, but your skin is made? Not a problem. Upload your photo
and you will still be included in the contest.
So, if you post your "bearskin" image by Sunday March 20th, you will be entered into two contests. One for the iPad Mini and also the International Quilting Weekend contest. (Yes, Rare Bear makers are allowed TWO entries into the International Quilting Weekend Contest). So that's two ways to win and help out a child. Make sure you upload your photo and you will automatically be entered to have a 2nd chance to win in the International Quilting Weekend Contest also. During International Quilting Weekend, Rare Bear makers will be automatically entered a 2nd time in the regular contest!