This quilt definitely told me how it wanted to be made. I worked on it off and on over five years. Finally, a year ago I decided to get her finished. I did the setting completely different from the pattern. When the top was finished the gold squares were blank so I made 20 4 1/2" squares, like barn quilts, and appliqued them onto the quilt and it really that little something to this quilt. It just won Grand Champion at our county fair and was also awarded an Award of Merit by one of the judges who is a national judge.
This quilt has been in the works for over 5 years, off and on. Finally in 2015 I decided to finish the dang thing. This quilt definitely told me how to make it, and very loudly. I did the setting very different from the pattern and am thrilled out it turned out. It just received Grand Champion at our local county fair and will be entered in the Colorado State Fair in 2 weeks. It also received an Award of Merit from the judge, who is a national judge. I am very honored and love this quilt.
I have had this pattern over 5 years and have worked off and on, but in 2015 I decided to get the dang thing finished. However, I was stumped as to embroidery. The pattern called for silk ribbon, which I did not want to attempt, so I decided to use variegated embroidery floss and embellish that way. I LOVE how this quilt turned out. You know how a quilt tells you how to make it, this quilt definitely spoke to me and at me, hehe. I didn't like the setting of the pattern and played around with the blocks with scrap fabrics to play with and come up with this idea. When I finished the top the gold squares were empty and blah, so it told me to make barn quilt squares, which I appliqued on. It ended up being a fun quilt. I am proud to say it just received Grand Champion in our local and also one of the judges is a national judge and she gave it an Award of Merit, to which I am extremely honored. She will be going to our State Fair in 2 weeks.
This year long journey started as a challenge to myself to create a modern style quilt and has ended in this final piece. Challenging improvisational appliqué, piecing, and many new techniques were practiced. I have learned plenty, and I'm happy with the final product, but have to acknowledge it is a bit outside the box, especially where traditional quilting is concerned. It is a celebration of my joy in 40 years in church music ministry, playing the organ, singing, and teaching music and band in school.
I love medallion quilts. I think it is because I find multiple borders make a quilt interesting. I also enjoy the math and the challenge of getting everything to fit. This is fairly small, but was great fun to make. I used some fabric I had in my stash. I haven't decided whether to use it as a table topper or a wall hanging.
This is my interpretation of the pattern Forever Blooming by Pearl Pereira of P3 Designs. She first offered this pattern in monthly installments before publishing it. The pattern calls for a light background, but I thought the deep navy really made the colors come out. The background is a navy batik with white spots, that reminds me of stars - hence the name Night Blooms. This quilt won Best of Show at our local quilt guild and the Oklahoma State Fair in 2015.
My Hoffman Challenge 2016 quilt. This quilt represents a happy summer day in a slightly enchanted forest. It is entirely made with some form of applique. I applipieced/pieceliqued the sky, grassy ground, mountains, and path together. All the trees, flowers and butterflies are stitched raw edge applique, and the birds and animals are embroidered on nylon veil and then appliqued onto the quilt. The flower centers are beaded and the birds and animals have hot fix crystals for their eyes. Free motion quilted.
English paper piecing, 1/2-inch hexagons using freezer paper and Crayola template. Papers and hexagons traced and cut out by hand. Started in 2009. Hand appliqued to border; machine quilted around each flower and each center; faced edging instead of binding.
This quilt was started by my cousin's mother in law but she passed away before she could finish. My cousin gave it to me to complete. She hand pieced it and I hand quilted it. I've had it for several years as hexagon's are so difficult for me. But it's done and I'll be giving it back to her in July!
The tablecloth I used for this project was an eBay purchase. It had a hole near the center and looked pretty sorry for itself. It did have some pretty butterfly motifs on it, and as I was trying to teach myself to FMQ, so thought that if it was a disaster, it would not be the end of the world. There was a lot of white space to fill, so I used some Cindy Needham quilting stencils and drew the flowers and vines freehand on the top. I used some purchased lace butterflies to hide the hole in the middle of the quilt. It was great fun to do.
My resolution last year was to learn to FMQ. This was a practice piece. I have some lovely ferns in my garden and particularly love them when the fronds are unfurling. I used Kaffe Fassett Shot Cotton and Hobbs Tuscany wool batting.